• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crap OCZ to Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DSM4Life

I am finally getting rid of my OCZ Vertex 2. Ocz has to make the worse product i have every purchased for my computer. The drive has failed so many times it just makes me sick. I am on my second RMA and this replacement is going straight to Ebay when i get it back.

I am looking into the Intel drives but my question is this. I have a 240GB OCZ drive, that capacity size was a little overkill for my usage. So i am looking to buy a new 120GB intel SSD. My question is, will it be OK to take my system imagine from my 240GB OZcrap drive and put it on the 120GB intel without issues (alignment issues and such)?

I don't see why not. You're just cloning over from one drive to another. You may have to call MS to reactivate windows, but other than that you shouldn't have any problems :)

I am finally getting rid of my OCZ Vertex 2. Ocz has to make the worse product i have every purchased for my computer. The drive has failed so many times it just makes me sick. I am on my second RMA and this replacement is going straight to Ebay when i get it back.

I am looking into the Intel drives but my question is this. I have a 240GB OCZ drive, that capacity size was a little overkill for my usage. So i am looking to buy a new 120GB intel SSD. My question is, will it be OK to take my system imagine from my 240GB OZcrap drive and put it on the 120GB intel without issues (alignment issues and such)?

That sucks it hasnt worked Out for you. I've had a 60Gb vertex 2 working perfectly for 5 months now. I got it from a friend who has an Intel system and it failed, so he gave the drive he got back from the RMA to me. I'm switching to intel from AMD so hoping it doesnt cause any problems.

That sucks it hasnt worked Out for you. I've had a 60Gb vertex 2 working perfectly for 5 months now. I got it from a friend who has an Intel system and it failed, so he gave the drive he got back from the RMA to me. I'm switching to intel from AMD so hoping it doesnt cause any problems.

If I knew I was going to go through all this hassle I would have stayed with my HDD. I have to say that OCZ's forum support is pretty good. They respond fast to support questions/troubleshooting but when these OCZ drives go into what they call "panic mode" the drive is done and needs to be sent back. When the drive works it's great but is not reliable IMO.

The Intel 510 seems to be getting the best reliable reviews. I know even that drive isn't perfect but I just can't gamble on OCZ anymore.

I don't see why not. You're just cloning over from one drive to another. You may have to call MS to reactivate windows, but other than that you shouldn't have any problems :)

We will see, thanks.

You should have no problems. I have imaged my 60Gb Vertex to my X25M 80Gb several times with no problems. In fact, when I find my drive slowing down, I image it to another drive, secure erase the SSD and slap the image back on. I do this about once every two months and have yet to face a problem in 2+ years. :)

Also, you do not have to reactivate windows unless you are transferring it to a new rig (and have done this several times).

SuperNade i alway wondered why people do what you do. Format , use a system imagine to recover and expect things to be "clean." Doesn't that just put you right back to where you started from? Or does zeroing out the drive help?

SuperNade i alway wondered why people do what you do. Format , use a system imagine to recover and expect things to be "clean." Doesn't that just put you right back to where you started from? Or does zeroing out the drive help?

The devil is in the details. When you clone a drive, there are several options at your disposal. From an end user's perspective, he/she requires that all programs and information be retained. Note the emphasis on the word "information".

So, you can either copy the information alone or do a sector by sector copy. Doing a sector by sector copy (i.e akin to a bit raw-write) will not yield any gains. I have tried this (by mistake) and encountered horrendous stuttering. The reason for this is best explained in THIS Wiki article.

I think Mr.Alpha would probably provide a better answer, but my understanding is that the number of writes in an "information" cloning is less than a sector-by-sector raw write. Thus in the latter case, as far as the SSD is concerned, even blocks that are supposedly "devoid of information" i.e empty space are marked as written.

My suggestion is, when you clone a drive to an SSD, avoid using sector-by-sector cloning (which takes almost 2x longer because of this).

shouldnt have any problems since its only a drive

The devil is in the details. When you clone a drive, there are several options at your disposal. From an end user's perspective, he/she requires that all programs and information be retained. Note the emphasis on the word "information".

So, you can either copy the information alone or do a sector by sector copy. Doing a sector by sector copy (i.e akin to a bit raw-write) will not yield any gains. I have tried this (by mistake) and encountered horrendous stuttering. The reason for this is best explained in THIS Wiki article.

I think Mr.Alpha would probably provide a better answer, but my understanding is that the number of writes in an "information" cloning is less than a sector-by-sector raw write. Thus in the latter case, as far as the SSD is concerned, even blocks that are supposedly "devoid of information" i.e empty space are marked as written.

My suggestion is, when you clone a drive to an SSD, avoid using sector-by-sector cloning (which takes almost 2x longer because of this).

what program you use ??> ghost 2003 is what i use

Acronis TrueImage 2011+ is SSD aware, I've used it - works fine for alignment.

I'll take that OCZ SSD off your hands, mine works great :p

I've had it for a year+ now with no quirks or issues...firmware updates went smooth. I keep backups of everything I can't afford to lose, to many HDD failures...there are those who have lost files, and those who haven't.

i use easus todo works great :D

I second Easeus ToDo Backup. Using the free version, I've cloned several drives, large to small and small to large, with no problems booting or having to re-activate Win7.

I keep a couple of images of my OS HDD stored on my data HDD, and can create a clone from it in 15 minutes on my USB3 dock.

Back