• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crash every once in a while

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman7

Maybe you guys can help me out. I have a crash in a game very randomly and sometimes I get a BSOD with a memory dump error. I know it memory related as you can see I'm running my memory at 1600. Is it possible to run the memory at 1600? I have ran the memory at 1333 at the game runs fine. Anything I need to tweak on the memory at 1600 or just go back to 1333?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    421.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    203.3 KB · Views: 117
This is the kind of thing we often see with the Deneb core CPUs when you try to run the ram at 1600 mhz. Just not quite stable. Although there could certainly be other causes. I wouldn't put too much stock in the mini dump info as it can be misleading like a leak that you see dripping from the ceiling. The source may be immediately above or it may be quite removed as the water can travel along pipes or rafters before showing up where you see it. One thing you aren't showing us in your HWMonitor pic is the core temps. They are the most critical ones if accurate. And we need to know what are the core temps under full load, like after 20 minutes of Prime95 blend. By the way, how did you stress test the overclock? The defacto standard on the forum is the Prime95 blend test - passing it for at least two hours.

Sometimes manually relaxing the memory timings will allow a Deneb to run at 1600 mhz when it seems to be struggling with stability.

Just changing the command rate from 1T to 2T be enough. So close it seems, yet so far if it has crashes.
RGone...

madman what are your temps like under load? Though I think your issue may be related to what Trents said.

The CPU has been OC'ed for quite some time. When I did the original OC, Prime95 ran for over 2 hrs. and the temps got around 54C. This isn't the original memory I used when I first OC'ed. It's the same brand and almost exact specs but it's supposed to run at lower voltage. I went from 4 2gig sticks to 2 4gig sticks because I read somewhere that running two slots instead of four slots can help in OC'ing. The original ram specs stated 1.65v at 1600 where this ram stated 1.50v at 1600. I'm running the ram at 1.60v. I will change from 1T to 2T and see if that helps. I ran the old ram at 1600 with Prime95 and it never crashed. I haven't done it with this ram. I didn't think I would need to since this ram appears to be a little better ram.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, even if it's the same Brand the manufacturer of the IC's may be different. If you still have issue after changing from 1T to 2, try bumping the Dram V up a bit.
Edit: I didn't see you already have it at 1.6

Last edited:
If 1.5v is stock I would not run it at 1.6v since you really aren't overclocking it. I would run it at 1.525 or 1.55v. That should be plenty. If you overdrive ram with too much voltage it can cause instability. Changing the CR to 2T as RGone suggested would be something to try for sure.

I se you have the NB at 2600 already. A bit more voltage to the CPU/NB may help as well.

I have the NB voltage at 1.2625v . Go a little higher?
Often it is purely trial and error. Whatever stops the once in a while crashes. 1.26xx should be enough but one never really knows until each suggestion is tried and tested one at a time.
RGone...

I set the memory at 2T and it still crashed. I Set the memory to 1333 and it crashed again. I set the CPUNB voltage to 1.2750 which is the next setting I have. I ran Prime95 for 30 mins and it ran fine. The core temps in HW monitor reached 54-55 C. I may set the CPUNB freq to 2400 and drop the CPUNB voltage back to 1.2625v. Any thoughts?

Back