• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Creating The Most Outrageous Build Plan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Asetek unit IS more or less the H100. Corsair doesn't actually build their own liquid cooling units, Asetek manufactures it for them with some slight design tweaks. AFAIK, the H100 is better.

Don't get quad SLI. The fourth card adds almost no performance. And even though you might get it for bragging rights, the thing is that you can actually add something in that last PCIe slot that will actually make more of a difference in your computer. Especially if you plan on ordering high end speakers, I would much rather have a high quality sound card than a 4th GPU. A sound system has to be complete, a crap source and crap DAC is going to make good speakers sound like crap.

That being said, an actual quality 7.1 set is going to run you thousands of dollars. I'd go over to head-fi.com and ask there about speakers, that's the one of the biggest sound forums on the internet. That being said, they aren't as nice as we are over here, but they know what they're talking about. I'd also consider a high-end headset over a speaker setup.

RAIDing SSDs is more of a pain than it's worth, you also lose TRIM which helps the drives last longer. General rule of thumb is to get the single biggest SSD you can afford.

I wouldn't get the Velociraptors. The speed increase over the WD Blacks isn't worth the reliability decrease. 10,000 RPM drives tend to fail more often than others.

The 3960X is a HUGE waste. It's almost the same CPU as the 3930K, but $500 more.

The more RAM sticks you have, the more it might limit OCing. If you want tons of RAM, get 8GB sticks over 4GB sticks.

Okay how about 2x gtx 690's on the two slots and we still have two slots free :)

About the ssd's then i will go for crucial m4 512 gb. I am sticking with the velociraptor since i want the best performance out of this machine. We are trying to build a bugatti veyron here, so i dont think we need toyota's legendary reliability. Atleast, thats how i feel about it.

Cpu processor will remain the same considering the budget is high.

Ram will be G skill trident x F3 2600C11Q-32GTXD designed for 3rd gen intel processors.

Cooler will be corsair H100 itself.

Thanks . Look like the final build is looming so close to getting started,finally. Any help would be appreciated.

I like 2x690s better. Yes, it's a bit less powerful, but it gives you MUCH more room to add stuff. I guess I get where you're going with this build, so I'll rest my argument on the CPU and the RAM.

But, if you really want to stick to the car analogy, would you rather have a Bugatti Veyron that broke down every 1000 miles or a CCXR that was completely reliable?

Here's the thing, it's a computer. No matter what, if he has stuff saved on the computer, he wants to keep that stuff. I can see unnecessarily good parts for bragging rights, but if you're willing to buy parts that have a relatively extreme high rate of failure just because they're a tiny faster, that's just unintelligent.

Don't get too over the top about what you're building. No matter how much money you dump into it, it's not going to be the Bugatti Veyron of computers. Anybody with money can build what your building, but stuff like http://rog.asus.com/32302011/news/rog-rampage-mod-by-ban-nguyen/5/ this is always going to be rarer and more impressive.

Last edited:
A second for dumping the VRaptors... WD Blacks are the way to go. Cheaper, More Reliable, and Much More Storage capability.

I just wish the WD Blacks would come down in price so I could pick another 4 or 6 of them up. :/

My Vote goes to the Revodrive.. That thing is pure awesomesauce.

A second for dumping the VRaptors... WD Blacks are the way to go. Cheaper, More Reliable, and Much More Storage capability.

My Vote goes to the Revodrive.. That thing is pure awesomesauce.

The Revodrive SSD's are better than Crucial M4? I don't have much knowledge on SSD's, so can you please tell me why it is so.

I like 2x690s better. Yes, it's a bit less powerful, but it gives you MUCH more room to add stuff. I guess I get where you're going with this build, so I'll rest my argument on the CPU and the RAM.

But, if you really want to stick to the car analogy, would you rather have a Bugatti Veyron that broke down every 1000 miles or a CCXR that was completely reliable?

Here's the thing, it's a computer. No matter what, if he has stuff saved on the computer, he wants to keep that stuff. I can see unnecessarily good parts for bragging rights, but if you're willing to buy parts that have a relatively extreme high rate of failure just because they're a tiny faster, that's just unintelligent.

I think I might go with the WD Black and a VelociRaptor. Problem Solved :)

Also, is there anything else I've left out. Anything that can make this build more powerful,more cutting-edge, better wen OC'ing. Moreover, is there any bottleneck as such when Benchmarking or upgrading in the future?

Above all else, is this the "best performance machine", you can build for the money, right now? It takes lots of skill to do what the ROP's do but considering spec-to-spec, is this the most powerful computer that you can build for around $10k?

Thanks for the help.

The Revodrive SSD's are better than Crucial M4? I don't have much knowledge on SSD's, so can you please tell me why it is so.

Try triple the speed.

Crucial M4:
Screen Shot 2012-05-26 at 10.16.56 PM.png

Revodrive 3 X2:
Screen Shot 2012-05-26 at 10.17.33 PM.png

I think I might go with the WD Black and a VelociRaptor. Problem Solved :)

Read up on RAID arrays, especially RAID 5. Then you can get ultimate reliability and ultimate speed.

Okie. So,we take the Revodrive 3X 2. So, I'll start buying and building now.

Thankyou guys.

Back