• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Critique this build, please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notarat

So I'm thinking hard about building a new rig and retiring my OG Twin Titan-based system from my signature.

System will me used for everything from database management to coding to gaming, so it needs to be good at everything. P

It'll be connected to my 4K monitor (not listed since I already have it) and I already have a 4Tb spinner drive for holding data (and I'll probably move 3 or 4 other drives over or consolidating those other drives into the 4Tb Drive)

It'll be running Win 8.1Pro x64

Please critique my parts list

WL1.jpg

About the only things I would change...

1. WHy Titan? That thing is incredibly overpriced unless you can use its vRAM or need the double precision it offers over the 1/3 less 980 Ti.
2. 1500W PSU? Do you plan on running 4 Titan X's? The system as spec'd could easily run (and overclocked) on a 550W PSU!!! If you plan on grabbing 2, 750W is PLENTY. To which I would say snag an EVGA Supernova P2 750W and save a boatload more.
3. Not a fan of the Corsair AIO's. Grab the Nepton, Seidon, Big Water 3.0, H220x, etc...

Yeah, you don't need that much PSU with one video card. It will just make extra wasted heat and jack up your power bill.

It will just make extra wasted heat and jack up your power bill.
I wouldn't worry about those things...the efficiency is 1-2% difference from something more appropriately sized (remember it only uses what it needs), and not sure where it would make extra heat.

The problem is the paying for it for no reason. :)

There's a big, black box around "Quantity: 2" right next to the GPUs guys, he's apparently planning on SLI. 1500W? Yea, that's way more than you need, but you do need more than 550w. I'd go with an EVGA 850 G2 as it sets, though like ED said, the 980Ti is a much better buy unless you can use more than 6GB of VRAM. If going with them, I'd recommend the 750 G2 as ED suggested.

Back