• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire and M4A89TD-Pro/USB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kileak

Registered
Hi everyone, been a while since I've posted but I've been reading up :D

Anywho, so I got this nice Asus motherboard last week and installed two 5770s on it but I just realised tonight that both Catalyst and GPU-Z report one card running at PCIe 16x while the second one is at 8x...

Taken from Catalyst's Graphic Hardware view:

Linked Adapter
Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x8

I was under the impression that the 890fx chipset had dual 16x slots, anything I'm doing wrong here? Or did I just misunderstand something?

I've read elsewhere "clean off contacts" but the cards are brand new and there wasn't anything on the contacts.

Now I know the performance drop is most likely negligible and the system is currently running very well but still, I figure I paid for this mobo thinking it had that functionnality, why isn't it working as intended...

The 790/890FX chipsets can and should run at 2x 16-bit.

I'm not sure what's going on with the ASUS boards. Another guy is having trouble getting his single card running x16 on an ASUS M4A89GTD (at least, according to GPU-Z), which is the 890GX chipset. It can't run 2x 16-bit but it should run 1x 16-bit. I'm wondering if ASUS wired these boards different somehow and the detection programs are maybe reading them wrong. :shrug: I know there have been some other monitoring issues with recent ASUS boards so who knows ...?

From what I have read and seen, the difference in x16 and x8 on a graphics card is roughly 2%. However I would just try and call asus customer support to see. Regardless of performance if i buy an item that says 1000 awesomeness I want 1000 awesomeness not 980 awesomeness. Anyway keep us updated!

Solved!

For some unknown reason, taking both cards out and switching them slots solved the problem. Catalyst is now reporting both cards at 16x. Wheee!

I figured I'd have a look at both of the cards up close and check contacts to be sure but there wasn't anything. Still, maybe re-seating them in different slots allowed the contacts to... contact better...

Solved!

For some unknown reason, taking both cards out and switching them slots solved the problem. Catalyst is now reporting both cards at 16x. Wheee!

I figured I'd have a look at both of the cards up close and check contacts to be sure but there wasn't anything. Still, maybe re-seating them in different slots allowed the contacts to... contact better...

Really? Because according to the specs two cards will only run @ x8 x8. One card in blue, dummy card in grey will produce the blue slot to run @ x16.
I'm the other guy Quietice was referring to. I'm having an issue where the blue slot will not run @ x16 with dummy card or at least it's not reported that way in GPU-Z.

I am willing to bet it wasn't even that the cards needed to be switched. You know the Crossfire bridge cable? They are troublesome.

Back