• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfired x1950 pros = LESS performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would honestly skip on the PSU, your PSU puts out over 30A which is good enough to run most modern videocards. You would see a massive improvement moving from the 2x x1950pro's to 1x 4850 and the cost of this card really wouldn't be much more than the PSU's you are looking at.

Did you try Uninstalling Drivers only puting one card in and installed drivers then put the second in and reinstalling drivers

im tellin you the 1950pro requires 28amps PER CARD! i had a 1950pro AGP and it brought my truepower450 to its knees.

You can get something like an Antec Earthwatts 650 in many retail locations or online for like $60-$70. I use one for my overclocked quad, 4850 crossfire, and all my hard drives, so presumably it would work fine in your rig.

I tried the seperate driver install trick and no change.

I checked out the Antec and it seems fine but i'm thinking modular with more power. 750/850w and lots of amps.

He wants modular though I agree its overkill and the hx620 would be enough but I mean why screw around? lol

check seasonic or silverstone, they have modular 650

if you can get a decent price do it, but a 1000w is way over kill and over priced for his needs.

Many thanks for the input guys - it seems to me that i want a 750w, modular, good make and most importantly at least 28A on two lines.

I saw an 850w , cant remember the make but it looked good only in the specs it say +3.3v 25A and i'm presuming that's a problem if i want to run two 1950s

by the way, the 1950 pro's do NOT draw 28A each, that would be almost 700W for two older graphics cards, yeah right.

Well i'm confused now since i thought the crux of my problem was the fact that i didn't have the amperage to run these two cards.

Now you are saying that they dont consume nearly that much.

One thing that concerns me about my system is that CPUID GPU-Z always crashes the whole system - total freeze - when i run it and stress the graphics at the same time. With or without any crossfire set up.

Now why would that happen? Surely GPU-Z is supposed to run in the background while you stress your hardware? Is there something inherently wrong with my set up? Could it well be that i'll buy a new PSU and it'll make no difference because there is a fault in the system?

Only one reliable way to find out if power is your problem and that's to replace it and see. It will surely be better than what you have now. Also with DDR2 so cheap right now that should be next on your list of things to replace.

the package reads:

"450-Watt power supply or greater, 30 Amps on 12 volt rail recommended"

"For CrossFire: 550 watt power supply or greater, 38 Amps on 12 volt rail"

That is a whole system rating not for a single graphics card.

A whole crossfire system, they reccomend atleast 38A of 12v, the thing is your powersupply is cheap, and not well made, and the ouput sticker lies, it will not output that.

Now is actually a great time to upgrade your PSU anyways...they are cheap as dirt everywhere. Just scored a Corsair TX750 for $75 shipped.

which package are you refering to gods?

x1950pro? i lost mine hehe.

The TX750 sounds like a good bet - is it modular?

I live in spain so i'm a bit limited in availability of products but i have found this

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Enermax_Infiniti_720W/

Seems to fit the bill and has two 'lines' that carry 28A or more. Enermax have a very good reputation.

I am able to get a corsair hx620 for 2/3 the price but i'm not sure that it will have enough 'headroom' for overclocking the rest of system.

Any thoughts?

Back