• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

crosshair red cpu led

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scoobydoo

just tried to fire up my new build for the first time and as soon as i turn it on the red cpu led by the 24pin connector lights up. according to the maunal that will stay lit if there is a problem with it

nothing happens and i have to use the switch on the power supply to turn the pc back off, holding the power button doesnt work

i have reseated the cpu 3 times so i am sure that isnt the issue, i have replaced the video card with another and swapped out ram sticks just to make sure

is it possible the cpu i bought is DOA? i did buy it used so wouldnt think it would be and it was packed well.

i dont have any other am3 cpus and i have never had a dead cpu before so this is new for me:(

well that would really suck since the motherboard was bought bnib and the most expensive part, not to mention the biggest pain to replace.

all the lights on the board turn on with power and the cpu fan spins, but nothing happens, no beeps and the cpu light turns on immediately

if the board is DOA i am going back to Intel, maybe i should have never tried to switch back:(

that´s just my thought, I have a friend with a similar problem and the mobo was dead or at least the socket he have P55 mobo

Is it the machine in your sig? If so.. the PSU's might not be cutting it, especially a 300w. Just because it turns on.. doesn't mean the PSU is supplying the proper amount of voltage. Have you tried disconnecting all HDDs to see if you can even see a BIOS splash screen on bootup?
You didn't mention it.. so I wonder if you tried to clear CMOS? And I don't mean just pressing the button they added to the rear I/O panel. Remove CMOS battery, move the jumper to clear position and disconnect the PSU from the board. Let it sit for like 10 mins and then hook it back up. Remove all but 1 stick of RAM, and power it on. If nothing happens, you could try moving to another RAM slot, or a different module. Occasionally ya get a defective item.. I've had 2 faulty graphics cards since 2006. And just because the board is dead, doesn't mean AMD let ya down... Asus did lol.

Got this far in typing before I picked up my manual, then I noticed something on page 2-38.

- Use only an 8 pin EPS +12V power plug for the EATX12V connector
- For a fully configured system, we recommend that you use a PSU that complies with ATX 12 V Spec 2.0 or later, and provides a minimum of 600W of power.
- Don't forget to connect 8 pin EATX12V or the system will not boot.
- The system may become unstable or not boot up if the power supply is inadequate

Hopefully you at least have the Corsair unit powering the board.. I doubt a 300W Antec has an 8 pin connector on it. :chair:
Now, I know Corsair units are great, and I have 2 of the 450VX units.. but according to the manual, it says you're underpowered. :rolleyes:

nothing happens and i have to use the switch on the power supply to turn the pc back off, holding the power button doesnt work

all the lights on the board turn on with power and the cpu fan spins, but nothing happens, no beeps and the cpu light turns on immediately
Was everything working right when you tried it outside the case prior to full installation?

Have you tried by-passing the case buttons?

Have you disconnected everything but the essentials - CPU/board/RAM/video?

The only drives I ever connected were the optical and main boot drive to get things installed. when it didnt start I disconnected them and started troubleshooting, it is the 400 watt Corsair CMPSU-400CX powering it

Things I have tried

-1 dimm, 2 dimms, no dimms all slots
-pci video, pci-e video, no video
-4pin power, 8pin power
-cmos reset(a few times)
-reseated the cpu three times, checked pins, all looks good and when i take off the hsf there is great contact
-took the mobo out of the case and tried all the above again
-disconnected the case buttons and used the "start" button on the board

No matter what I do as soon as i press the start button the Qled cpu light by the 24pin molex comes on and nothing happens. The only way I can turn the pc back off is by using the switch on the power supply, holding the start button does nothing, nor does reset

Unfortunately I dont have a spare am3 cpu to test and at this point spending another $40 on something that may or may not work isn't in my budget

thanks for the help

Last edited:
When you leave out RAM and video you get no beep codes? In fact, from what you've said it sounds like you've gotten no beep codes at all?? If so, that sounds more like a board or power issue than anything else. Do you have something to test the PSU power leads?

bazinga, sketchy power supply, wiggling the cables by the power supply woke everything up, must be a loose cable inside

guess thats what you get for $25 from craigslist

thanks for all the help:)

Back