• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crosshair V Thunderbolt and 980 CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kitty2Kat

Registered
Anyone know if the Amd asus crosshair v thunderbolt will work with the 980 cpu?
I was able to get both of these from newegg and most reviews arewith using the sabertooth mobo both the mobo I got and this cpu both use 125 w and was this stopped out of production due to amd asus wanting people to buy bulldozer? My older computer died this past week and I decided to get this combo, but will they work good the reviews for 980 are good? I was waiting for piledriver, but my old computer died.

my new system so far
mobo amd asus crosshair v thunderbolt
cpu 980 phenom II x4
psu Seasonic 520w bronze certified
gpu Radeon
monitor new samsung led backlit
hd wd black caviar
need a good heatsink any help?
case still deciding on and I will be using Linux OS

The Crosshair V is a more expensive board than the Sabretooth and have a lot in common with each other. I cannot see why the 980 would not work. With an Asus board you can go to the Asus site and look at the CPU compatibility list for that motherboard and not have to take the word of someone on a forum but the manufacturer themselves.

I did that first before posting, but the 980 wasn't listed for my mobo, that is why I was asking on here,
most on newegg reviews said it worked good wit sabetooth. And if I call them hey might not know a the 980cpu is discontinued, can anyone please help...I did look at Amd Asus USA

I don't think you're going to have a problem, just make sure that your running the latest bios and you should be golden.
With a default speed of 3.7Ghz the system should run out nicely and 4.0Ghz should be a piece of cake ! :)

Back