• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossover to subminiature connector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dieter01

Registered
What is the name of the two-pin connector that is the standard for temperature sensors in computers? I have a HH506RA that uses subminiature connectors. I would like to connect sensors like this to track my temperatures while testing.

What connector/crossover do I need? Does frozencpu sell one?

Are you saying you want to use your HH506R1 and use its connectors on a 2 pin temp probe to get temperature readings?

Why not make your life easier and grab one of these.

Why not make your life easier and grab one of these.

I have one of those too :)

Basically I was thinking of trying to save money by dropping the Aquaero 6 from my build. I was thinking if there was another way of reading water temperatures in the loop without it. I already have the datalogger so I figured if I could get the temp sensors hooked up to it I would be able to manage. But I don't know how to get from the small two pin connector on a normal PC temp probe to a subminiature connector that my datalogger will accept.

Yeah, I am not sure. Not a engineer with that kind of knowledge by any means in that department. lol

I think if you reached Bobnova, he might be able to assist you.

The HH506RA uses a thermocouple as a sensor. It can use multiple type of thermocouples. A thermocouple puts out a voltage, that varies with temperature. The voltage is created because two dissimilar metals are welded together at the tip of the thermocouple. The dissimilar metals actually create a very small voltage, and the HH506RA reads this voltage, and knowing the type of thermocouple, turns that into a temperature.

The sensor that most motherboards, and many of the bay type controllers use, is a thermistor. A thermistor is a resistor, that changes in resistance with respect to the temperature it is at. To measure the change in resistance a small current must be run through the thermistor, and then the voltage is read.

THe HH506RA does not have the circuitry to inject a current through a thermistor, so it is not possible to create a connector to convert a thermistor to a thermocouple. It could be done with an active circuit, but I have not seen anything like that available for sale. I could design one, but in the end I'd need to charge you more than just buying the right controller and sensor.

FYI, my experience is that the thermistor on most motherboards is 10K nominal at 25C, and designed for a R25/50 Beta of 3435K. So when buying a thermistor you'll need one with those specs to work with most motherboards.

Sorry the answer is No... but at least you won't have to bang your head against the wall any longer wondering.

Thank you so much for a very thorough answer.

Aquaero 6 it is then ;-)

Back