• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CT-479 Dothan 740 Burning Smell!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crazyotterhound

Hi, I tried my luck today installing a CT-479 and Dothan 740 into an Asus P4GPL-X. Both parts are nearly new (used once). The CT-479 was missing the CPU power cable, so I used the 4-pin floppy power cable from the PSU instead (shouldn't be a problem right?).
Attempt 1:
Everything was set to go, pushed the power button and the fans spun for a brief moment before everything went dead.
Attempt 2:
I disassembled everything, saw the socket 479 screw wasn't turned fully to the left in a locked position, so I fixed this and reseated the CT-479 heatsink. Turned on again, this time CPU fan spins everything fine but no display (no beeps either). LED on mobo and graphics card are both on, so power is getting to the mainboard.
Attempt 3:
Plugged in the 4-pin power cable required for P4 CPU's to see if this made a difference. Powered on again, same result as before, but with a burning smell this time.
Has anybody any ideas? Assuming the parts I bought are OK, the only thing I can think of is the power cable I'm using to drive the CT-479. Btw, My system is working fine again with my old P4. Thanks in advance...

Back