• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom 2.1ch speaker setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lian Li

What I'd like to do is utilize a pair of Infinity front stage speakers that I've had for about 10 years, but have only used for a year or two. These speakers have two drivers and a tweeter in each housing, I'd like for them to play the mids and highs, and then of course a decent subwoofer, nothing too crazy, i'm sure an 8" sub would be more than enough.

So, how do I make this happen? What do I need in order to utilize regular speakers for use on my computer? I do have a soundcard, a Creative SoundBlaster Xtreme Music IIRC. I'm willing to upgrade but don't want to break the bank, I think up to $100 for the card would be my limit.

As for the sub, i'm thinking a powered one would be the way to go but I'd be open to suggestions/ideas. But if you're gonna suggest something, be reasonable, nothing extravagant, I'd like to keep my investment to below $200 if at all possible.

You will want a receiver, prefereably digital, then you can do SPDIF passthrough, where the soundcard doesnt matter.

See if you can find a used surround receiver on Craigslist or wherever. Not a Prologic one, but some form of X.1 setup. Then you can just run the line out from your X-fi to the Aux/Line in on the receiver, hook the Infinitys up as front speakers, the subwoofer up to the sub out (and you would prolly need a powered sub there, it's usually just a line-level output on most receivers), and then set the receiver to run in stereo/2.1 mode.

Simple enough, except for the part about finding something within budget.

Wow, I simply don't have the space to put a receiver, and I really don't want to go that route even if I did. I have a pretty decent home theater setup that I can run my Zune80 through so I'd just do that before buying another receiver just to play music through my computer.

Maybe I would be better served by ditching the idea of using my Infinity's and just getting some decent active monitors instead. Of course I'd get a powered subwoofer as well but I'd have to upgrade my sound card. I'd imagine most decent active monitors would have a digital inputs so I'd like to have a card that can handle that. As for the sub, I'm thinking rca's would be the connection of choice so it would have to have those as well. And most important, the card would need to help SQ, not hurt it. Any suggestions? My bugdet for the card is about $100, I can go a little higher if it's absolutely necessary but I'd prefer to stay at or below this amount.

I'll go hit up The Guitar Center this afternoon to research active monitors and subwoofers

What exact model are your Infinitys? If they have a 90dB or greater sensitivity I highly recommend the Trends Audio TA-10.1 T-amp. Even though it only puts out 5WPC, highly sensitive speakers will make your ears bleed with it. You can get one from www.audiomagus.com for $150. I have one, and they make my Klipsch RB-81s play very loud.

What exact model are your Infinitys? If they have a 90dB or greater sensitivity I highly recommend the Trends Audio TA-10.1 T-amp. Even though it only puts out 5WPC, highly sensitive speakers will make your ears bleed with it. You can get one from www.audiomagus.com for $150. I have one, and they make my Klipsch RB-81s play very loud.
Not sure what model they are, they're in storage right now. I looked into the T-amps but when I seen they were 10watts per ch. or lower I decided against them. Not only that, but I'd really like to avoid adding another component.

I went to The Guitar Center today to listen to their active monitors and came away really liking the KRK Rokit5 monitors. Those things sounded so sweet and the bass was lovely, especially from such small drivers, but man, $300 for a set.

I think i'm just gonna try a set of Behringer MS40 active monitors, they've gotta be a huge improvement over my current Logitech X-230 speakers, especially when paired with the AudioTrak Prodigy HD2 sound card I've got my eyes on.

You have to take some things into consideration when choosing speakers. Studio monitors have a very flat frequency response. Theyre made that way for audio production and arent really made for casual listening. More or less to expose the flaws in recordings. Watts shouldnt really matter when choosing an amp. Chances are you wont be using more than 5 to 10 watts anyway, and thats with low efficiency speakers. Hell, even the true audiophile grade speakers seldom suck up 2 or 3 watts because of high sensitivity. If you went full tilt on a powerful amp you would go deaf. As far as the studio monitors and their bass response, youre hearing it at Guitar Center because their room is acoustically treated. I wouldnt be surprised if the bass output is much lower in your average bedroom/basement setting. Bigger speakers make more bass, period. My vintage Pioneer CS77s with 15" woofers kill my Klipsch RB-81s in the bass department, but for overall musicality and fidelity, the Klipsches kill them. Infinitys are nice speakers...you dont necessarily have to swing the cash on studio monitors if you dont have to. The Trends Audio is nice, If your speakers can handle it I dont see any reason why you shouldnt get it. Go read up some reviews. Musically, its superior to amps many times its cost.

You have to take some things into consideration when choosing speakers. Studio monitors have a very flat frequency response. Theyre made that way for audio production and arent really made for casual listening. More or less to expose the flaws in recordings. Watts shouldnt really matter when choosing an amp. Chances are you wont be using more than 5 to 10 watts anyway, and thats with low efficiency speakers. Hell, even the true audiophile grade speakers seldom suck up 2 or 3 watts because of high sensitivity. If you went full tilt on a powerful amp you would go deaf. As far as the studio monitors and their bass response, youre hearing it at Guitar Center because their room is acoustically treated. I wouldnt be surprised if the bass output is much lower in your average bedroom/basement setting. Bigger speakers make more bass, period. My vintage Pioneer CS77s with 15" woofers kill my Klipsch RB-81s in the bass department, but for overall musicality and fidelity, the Klipsches kill them. Infinitys are nice speakers...you dont necessarily have to swing the cash on studio monitors if you dont have to. The Trends Audio is nice, If your speakers can handle it I dont see any reason why you shouldnt get it. Go read up some reviews. Musically, its superior to amps many times its cost.
Thanks, but i'm aware of the differences between regular speakers and studio monitors, I even want to add that monitors are not just for exposing flaws in recordings but also to give the most accurate reproduction of the music recording.

The things you had to say about the amp and it's relative lack of power now has me open to the idea of considering getting one to run my Infinity's instead of getting the monitors only because I'd like to get some use out them since I did pay top dollar to get them back in 1998. I know they'd sound sick, and look pretty damn cool too. I never knew they even made amps for this particular application, and surely never dreamed an amp with such a low power rating would be able to push a set of decent home stereo speakers.

You were describing transfer function, i'm very well aware of that given my car audio background. My observations were based on my listening to various monitors all in the same environment, they didn't all sound good. I know they'd sound different at home, but man, the KRK's blew away the others in the same price range, even one's with bigger drivers.

Thanks for the info bro, i'm gonna go research that amp now, if it's good enough for you i'm sure it'll put a nice smile on my face too.

Alright Sir Barton, I've got a question for you.

I think i'm gonna get the Dayton Audio SUB-80 sub and instead of getting the monitors i'm gonna get an amp to run my Infinity's off of. You had suggested the Trends Audio amp but I've found one that puts out significantly more power for around the same price. Its' the Dayton Audio APA150.

Here's a pic of the back of the sub

300-631ii.jpg

It's got speaker level outputs on it and a high pass filter!

And here's a pic of the back of the amp

300-812i.jpg

So here's my question, how would I wire it all up?

This is how I think it would be wired:

Run RCA's from the Prodigy HD2 to the low level input on the APA150. Run RCA's from the low level output on the APA150 to the low level input on the sub. Wire the Infinity's up the the high level outputs on the APA150.

Is this correct or should I take advantage of the high level outputs on the sub and use it's high pass filter?

That Dayton amp is a very nice unit. Ive heard lots of praise for it. I highly considered it before the Trends, but in the end went with the T-amp because of space constraints. You can hook a sub to the Dayton no problem. You cant connect a sub to the T-amps because they come already bridged. Youd blow it by hooking in a sub. The only drawback of both the T-amps and the Dayton is that if you want to use multiple sources you will need a preamp.

The only drawback of both the T-amps and the Dayton is that if you want to use multiple sources you will need a preamp.
Please explain.

A "source" means any instrument or device capable of playing music either recorded or live, right? If that's the case, I won't need a preamp.

So how about my wiring question, can you help me out with that?

Last edited:
Please explain.

A "source" means any instrument or device capable of playing music either recorded or live, right? If that's the case, I won't need a preamp.

So how about my wiring question, can you help me out with that?

The preouts on that Dayton amp are for a subwoofer, so you would be best connecting it in that way. You can either connect to the line level inputs or you can use the speaker level inputs. One may sound different from the other, so try both and see which you like best.

The preouts on that Dayton amp are for a subwoofer, so you would be best connecting it in that way. You can either connect to the line level inputs or you can use the speaker level inputs. One may sound different from the other, so try both and see which you like best.
:confused:

Thanks for your responses but I don't follow you, i'm about as ignorant as one can be in regards to this topic so I need very specific and clear answers and instructions.

You just need an amp and a sub to go with your Infinity speakers.

For example, I use an Onix SP3 tube amp to power my B&W speakers and have an SVS sub. Just connect them directly to your sound card.

Back