• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Cooling and Vibration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DonRedhorse

Hi,

how does Vibration from the outside impact the long term stability of the loop?

I have a height-adjustable desk and atm I have my computer going up and down with the desk. This isn't 100% smooth so I wonder how that will impact a custom loop?

I don't have any issues with my AIO atm after 3 years.

Regards

Don

A custom loop should be drained and maintained at least yearly, with every 6 months being better. During regular maintenance ensure that fittings are secure, inspect blocks to see if they need to be cleaned, etc. I could see things coming loose over the course of years but if regular maintenance including checking all fittings is performed, I don't see a problem.

I agree with Zerileous, with regular maintenance, you will be fine. Each fitting has a soft seal that will deter the fitting from coming loose over time as in a locking nut, so generally this will keep things tight. The pump itself produces some manner of vibration itself as do fans, so I think it would be a more visible problem considering many people would be having that issue.

As with anything else, preventative maintenance is key.

Your desk going up and will have zero impact on your loop.

As always maintain your loop at least once /year and you can check on fittings, etc.

Hi, thanks for the feedback. That makes a lot of things easier... only 2 cables going up and down instead of ten or so :)

Don

A custom loop should be drained and maintained at least yearly, with every 6 months being better.

Agreed, but on the other hand i've had systems running for +/- 3 years without maintenance, and when it got the deserved maintenance, the fluid seemed fine, no growth and no corrosion on any of the parts. Other people fill out their loops and within few weeks time they have problems, so this is one of the subjects that i tend to say: your mileage may vary...

Nahhh, we are just ashamed that, although we give the right advice, sometimes we don't follow it ourselves.

Back