• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Fan Painting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leegit

Those Noctua fans have pretty good performance but I hate the colors they come with it. Has anyone painted their fans? What process did you use? What paints would you recommend?

Last edited:
If you can remove the fan blade, that will make painting much easier.
First: use 400 grit sandpaper and sand the fan blade, clean it up with rack
Second: use enamel or lacquer paint to spray paint the fan blade, may need to do 3 to 4 layer.

If you can remove the fan blade, that will make painting much easier.
First: use 400 grit sandpaper and sand the fan blade, clean it up with rack
Second: use enamel or lacquer paint to spray paint the fan blade, may need to do 3 to 4 layer.

What do you mean clean it up with rack?
What about the fan casing? Same thing? Or too hard to paint?

I've seen postings, with pics, from folks who've dyed their Noctua's using easily purchased Rit dye. The results were quite good, much better than I'd have thought. It was necessary to take the fan apart, but you'd have to do that anyway for painting. The nice thing, though, is no balance issues like could be introduced by painting.

What do you mean clean it up with rack?
What about the fan casing? Same thing? Or too hard to paint?

I think he ment "clean up with rag"

Most fans have a little C clip that holds the blades to the motor,that will be under the logo sticker.

I would scuff the serface with 1000 grit sandpaper.You just want to nock the shinny off. That give the paint something to stick to. "I" would wash with soap and water,let dry and then paint.

I am not a painter BUT I did stay at a holiday in lastnight:clap:

I've seen postings, with pics, from folks who've dyed their Noctua's using easily purchased Rit dye. The results were quite good, much better than I'd have thought. It was necessary to take the fan apart, but you'd have to do that anyway for painting. The nice thing, though, is no balance issues like could be introduced by painting.

That's an interesting idea. Do you have those bookmarks?

It's been awhile, so I googled "Dyeing Noctua Fans" and several links showed up. The link to guru3d looks to be the one I was following. I have only one Noctua fan that I use for rear exhaust, so the color doesn't isn't a factor. But, I think I'd try dyeing before painting to change colors.

Good luck with your quest. I'm looking forward to future postings.

you could also use self-etching primer to help with balancing issues that could be caused by hand painting.

post some pics when you're done

Back