• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Gaming PC Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGamer9991

I recently decided to buy a custom pc for gaming and other high end usage (editing , etc).Here are the specs i have chosen.
( In case you can't find them online , i can post the links i found on request )

Processor ~ Intel Core i7 6700K
Motherboard ~ Asus Z170-K
Ram ~ G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16 GB (2x8) DDR4 2400 Mhz
Graphics Card ~ Zotac Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
Hard Drive / SSD Hybrid ~ Seagate Hard Drive 2 TB SATA 6 GB with NCQ 64 Mb Cache
PSU ~ Seasonic S12II Series 520-Watt Power Supply
Cabinet ~ Circle CC 830 (With 3 inbuilt fans and I am buying one or two additional 120 mm fans )
Fan Controller ~ Thermaltake Commander FT

I am not mentioning monitors , optical drive , Wireless Adapter (wifi) , Keyboard , Mouse , Speakers as they are not relevant to my question.I will be buying most of my components from Amazon (India)

My only question is whether or not the hardware is completely compatible. Such as if all the components will fit in the case , all components are compatible with each other ,will there be space in the case for the additional fans , and if anything is not compatible , what would be an alternative choice for it.

Also , if there is any way to improve the build without changing the prices by too much , what would it be ?

All answers and suggestions are greatly appreciated.Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:
I'd get some 2800MHz or 3000MHz RAM, also ditch the hybrid drive and get an SSD and HDD.
You should have no issues with fitting components in the case.

For the drives, get a Samsung 850 EVO (250GB or larger) and a Western Digital Black 2TB.

Can you suggest a new RAM please ? Preferably a new one that recently came out and in more or less the same price.
And will a 120 GB SSD be fine ? IF not can you suggest a cheaper SSD .

Any G.SKILL 2800MHz or 3000MHz kit that runs at CL15 is perfectly fine.

120GB will work fine, but if you're planning to put many games on there you'll want a 250GB or larger.
I've learned (the hard way) not to skimp on SSD's. Buy a good one, they'll run faster and last longer.
The 850 EVO is a very price competitive SSD though.

Ok.Thank you for your help.Another issue , will there be space issues with all the wires ? Or is there ample space in the case ?

And i might not be able to afford a 16 GB 2800 MHz .Do i stick with my 16 GB 2400 MHz ?

You will have plenty of room for cable management in that case. Tuck as much of it as you can behind the motherboard tray in the space between the tray and the side panel.

RAM speed is not a particularly important performance variable in most common kinds of computing. You will see little or no difference if needing to use 2400 mhz RAM unless you do certain kinds of computing tasks. An example would be file compression/decompression.

Ok so i only need to change the hard drive and ssd .Thank you very much for your help

With the 970 stick to 1440p or lower. And honestly I would want more than a 970 for 1440p.
If you're planning 4K, get a 980 Ti.

The 980 Ti is also out of budget . And what is the reason behind the suggestion to stick with 1440 p or lower with the 970 ?

The 980 Ti is also out of budget . And what is the reason behind the suggestion to stick with 1440 p or lower with the 970 ?

vRAM limitations as well as raw GPU horsepower for gaming.

My typical recommendations for a dedicated gaming machine are:
1080p - GTX 970
1440p - GTX 980
2160p - GTX 980Ti

This keeps you with enough vRAM that you don't cap it out all the time as well as enough GPU power to drive the game at a good framerate.

+1

I have a 970 @ 1440P and in a few games, I'll have to turn some settings down to run at my desired frame rate (60+).

If you want to be able to just set everything to the max and forget about it, you'll need something better than the 970 (@1440P).

At 1080P, a 970 would be the perfect card.

Back