• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom loop arrangement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikexmayhem

Registered
So I've recently install a custom loop into my build as I was hoping it would cool better. However I'm not benefitting much as it seems. Which doesn't seem quite right to me. I'm wondering if I better loop arrangement might help. Here's my current arrangement

Res/pump combo, cpu, 120mm single rad and fan, gpu, 92mm double fan thick rad, back to pump.

So I have the cooling elements just after the actual parts. Anyways I'm still seeing temps on the gpu higher than I'd like to.

Any advice?

Changing the loop order will change cpu/gpu temps by less than 1C, ie you wont notice it.

Need to list your cpu/gpu and their waterblocks, and what are gpu temps and with what load.

But 120 mm and 92 mm rad isnt much surface area, though if gpu temps are high immediately would more likely suggest block contact.

For a cpu and gpu, you'll need at least 120 x 3, or 140 x 2, or rad rad area.

Yea, that's a dismal amount of rad area for a system that's anything higher than entry level in terms of performance. That setup could probably only handle less than 200 watts of total dissipation with a dT less than 10 deg C. Changing order won't help, you'll need more raddage to get the temps down.

any feedback on getting a thicket 120mm. right now i have a black ice slim 120mm rad. i was thinking about getting:
Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta Single 120mm Radiator - 80mm Thick!!

and doing a push pull set up on that rad. that should be much more efficient than the push/slim rad i have now, yes?

You'll need more than a single 120 rad and single 92 rad to keep up with a 3570k (overclock? how much?) and GTX680. Thick/thin, push/pull, it won't matter much. You need 120x2 at a bare minimum preferably 120x3 to get good temps, particularly if you're using a full cover block on the GPU.

well right now i have a single 120 thin rad. thinking about changing to thicker one, which would be an equivalent volume, give or take, to a double 120 rad. i have a double 92 rad, 184mm, which is also super thick lol. i will have push/pull on the 120 rad cuz i have space for it. but the 184 rad is just push. with the current set up my gpu idle is now 45 degrees and cpu idle is around 48-50. i havent done much with cpu loads and clocking yet. but gpu get to about 55-58 during heavy load games. sometimes in assassins creed black flag ill see 61. so i guess its not all that bad. but im trying to keep under 60. in a node 304 case haha. its tough i know, and probably not possible if i start clocking the cpu. but hey, thats part of the challenge!

I would go with the other members and humbly say you have not got enough Radiators, its not the thickness. Its the amount you need 3 x 120 mm radiators linked together to help you reduce those Temps. So think along the lines of trying to add 2 more 120 mm Rads to your set up there and then you will see the results you are looking for. As you mentioned in the first post of this thread.

AJ.

alright. thank you all for the suggestions. i will either deal with what i have in my small case or look for a new one haha. i am REALLY interested in finding an NCASE M1 somewhere but i cant access the classifieds yet :(

alright. thank you all for the suggestions. i will either deal with what i have in my small case or look for a new one haha. i am REALLY interested in finding an NCASE M1 somewhere but i cant access the classifieds yet :(

Welcome to OCFs!

Depending on your ambient temp, I believe with 120.2 heat surface per chip for your loop, that's if you're going for a quiet setup, you will see at least a 10c drop in your temps.

Let us know and take some pics of your journey. GL!

note that you *could* get away with it by using one 120mm per device, IF you are using hi-fpi (30 fpi), thick (+80mm) rads with Screaming Delta's in push/pull... the results would not be fantastic... but i would be impressive noise wise :D

Back