• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Loop: Radiator and Fan Placement HELP Needed 750d, 980ti Poseidon SLI + 5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EnvyUs

Hi guys,

I have been trying to put together a schematic for the loop I will be building soon. I really need help deciding where to put my rads + fans and which direction they should be blowing. Please do excuse my drawing it really was the best I can come up with :facepalm:

Parts: (CPU cooler is just there for compatibility)
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Stripcell/saved/C79zK8
I have had these parts for a while. I just think it's time to water cool them since I got the poseidons and really think its time for me to put together my first water cooled computer! However, I have not bought ANY water cooling parts yet. So please feel free to suggest anything at all ( I live in Canada)

Schematic Picture:
The purple lines show the direction of flow and hopefully that will be in hard tubing. I might also change all the fans to pull and have them touching the case that way it will make it easier to connect all the fittings.

I am not really sure of the orientation of ANYTHING in this case so please feel free to comment on anything at all. Here is a description of what I have in mind in case the picture isn't clear enough and the reason why I came up with it:

Top:
360mm Radiator with 3x120mm Fans exhaust [SP]

Front:
280mm Radiator with 2x140mm Fans intake [SP]

I decided to make this as an intake because it seems like it would start pulling the intake air from the bottom right out of the case. Leaving the case with hardly any intake. I decided to put the radiator here instead of at the bottom because the 140mm will spin a bit slower with less noise than the 120mm in the bottom and also provide more surface area for cooling.

Bottom:
2x120mm Fans intake [HAF]
Seems like a good place to push air through the case. I think it would provide a good amount of air throughout the case.

Back:
120mm Radiator with 1x140mm Fan exhaust [SP]
I decided to put another radiator here instead of just a fan because I think that the system will need as many radiators as I can fit in the case!

Video Cards:
These cards still use their fans to keep the VRM cool and can not be switched off. So they will always be blowing some hot air.

PSU:
I am not really sure how to orient this ... Should I just keep it isolated?

I really hope this is the right place to post this .... and I really appreciate any help!! As I mentioned earlier, this is my first water cooling job so I really put this stuff together based on all the stuff I have read. So please feel free to offer help on any component or orientation.

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forums EnvyUs!

OK, you're looking pretty good from what I can see. You have your airflow correct. We generally recommend Intake from the Front/Bottom and Side and Exhaust to the Top and Rear.

For the loop You look correct also. The only truly important order for the loop is the Reservoir must be before the pump to ensure it's fed properly. The other components really don't make much difference because after about an hour of use the water with reach it's saturation point.

A note about 120 vs 140 fans/rads. The 140's are quieter and do push more air. They're great for air flow. 120's are slightly louder but have higher static pressure. Generally speaking the 240 rads with high SP 120's will cool better than a 280 rad with high SP 140's. The increased SP of the 120's is more efficient that the increased area of the 140 fans. Don't get me wrong, they both work fine and its completely splitting hairs. But in general the 240 rad with high SP 120's is the way to go. So you'll need to decide if that extra ~1c is worth the added noise.

Finally I like to keep the PSU isolated. PSU intake should be at the filtered bottom and exhaust out the back of course.

Great looking build BTW. I'm all Jelly and stuff :)

Thank you very much for the welcome and the great insight :)

I am probably getting a pump+res combo so hopefully that shouldn't be an issue and I guess I will also keep the PSU isolated as you suggested.

With regards to the fans, since it's just "splitting hairs" I think I will go for the 140's where possible to try and keep the build as quiet as I can. I really am afraid of having a a loud build :(
Speaking of fans ... there is one more issue that I am really worried about ... the connections!! I have never had so many fans in a build and I always had AIO coolers so it was really straight forward plugging things in the MB. However, I am not sure what to do with all these! I was thinking of getting a splitter for every group of fans (1 splitter top, 1 bot, 1 front , 1 back). Now I am not sure where to plug all these with the pump as well... What I was thinking was plugging the pump in the CPU fan header and the other 4 splitters in regular chassis fan headers? I really have no clue about this one :S

Thanks again for your reply and I REALLY appreciate your feedback !!

What I was thinking was plugging the pump in the CPU fan header and the other 4 splitters in regular chassis fan headers?
You can do that, or buy a fan controller.

No worries there. The Enthoo Pro you listed has a 6 PWM fan hub. You didn't list a motherboard so I can't check how many headers you have but you can always pick up a second fan hub.

I agree with you on the noise too. Quiet is good for a daily rig. My benching rig has some screamers on it, but I'm not running that all day(usually).

http://www.legitreviews.com/phanteks-enthoo-pro-full-tower-case-review_146103

Thanks for your replies guys!

Earthdog do you think a fan controller would be necessary with that motherboard? Is it better to go for a fan controller? Because I heard that the Rampage V Extreme has PWM capability on each header and that the software is easy to use :S I honestly have no idea about that stuff until I try it ...

Blaylock I feel really embarrassed ... apparently I just put a link to partpicker that just takes you to the list that every individual that clicks the link made :D haha my bad .. I edited it and hopefully now it works! The motherboard is the Rampage V extreme and the case is the 750D airflow edition!

Why the expensive motherboard? That thing is made for subambient cooling.. you could have used something that cost less than half!! :)

Anyway, You can do it through the motherboard, sure. A fan controller is just another option.

To be completely honest I regret spending that much money on it .... I was just looking for something black and red, with OC capabilities + M.2 Pcie x 4 and only found the MSI Gaming 9 ACK and the Rampage V to be suitable ... The MSI had like streaming software bundles and all kinda stuff that I figured I will never use but the rampage seemed like I can honestly build on it and improve. However, I don't think I made the right decision. Just for future reference, which board would you have went for if you needed those specs? Black/red theme, good OC, M.2 pcie x4, SLI + future cards ( sound card perhaps)

I was just looking at those two and I was wondering how come I didn't go for them... they really do fit the bill xD. Then I remembered I also wanted on-board WiFi and didn't want to use an extra slot for a WiFi card :p
Thanks again man I really appreciate your feedback. Btw do you think just extending all my fans and putting them on a single splitter in order to always have all the fans spinning at the same speed is a good idea?

Btw do you think just extending all my fans and putting them on a single splitter in order to always have all the fans spinning at the same speed is a good idea?
It can be... it just depends on what it plugs into. The motherboard fan headers can only handle so much output... typically around 1A/12W or so. Depending on the fans, it may or may not work. If you look at the hub of the fans, it shows their rating.

Okay I see. The accumulated Amps shouldn't exceed 1A for a single header gotcha. Thanks again man

Blaylock I feel really embarrassed ... apparently I just put a link to partpicker that just takes you to the list that every individual that clicks the link made :D haha my bad .. I edited it and hopefully now it works! The motherboard is the Rampage V extreme and the case is the 750D airflow edition!

:rofl:

To funny! No problem. E_D's got you squared away.

The only difference between a controller and a hub is if you want software to control the fan speed or if you want to manually set them with knobs.

Thanks again guys I REAAAaaaally appreciate it. I do feel more confident in the build now. Maybe I will come back here and post a list of all the water cooling parts that I will be buying once I do a bit more research.

I would put that list right in this thread before you buy and the experts here can check it out for ya! :)

That sounds great. I think that is what I will do. You guys have been really helpful. THANK YOU !

Ok guys this is a lot harder than I expected ... I am having a really hard time choosing every single component in the loop :bang head .. Pleaaase help!

Tube:
Hard line PETG tubes is what I am going for. I do want to go for the 12mm ones but this loop is going to have a lot of bends ... would that make a difference?

Rads:
I was thinking of just going with the thinnest ones that I could find in order to avoid conflict. It seems that the top left corner of the loop (top+back rad) will be a very tight fit.
Top: EK-CoolStream SE 360 (Slim Triple)
EK-CoolStream SE 360 (Slim Triple)
Back: NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 140mm (Single)
https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/nexxxos-st30-full-copper-140mm/
Front: EK-CoolStream CE 280 (Dual)
https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/ek-coolstream-ce-280-dual/

CPU + GPU blocks:
This one was kind of straight forward. The GPUs already come with the blocks and the CPU is just the classic EK.
EK-Supremacy EVO
https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/ek-supremacy-evo/

Fittings:
This part is almost as difficult as the fans ... 90 degree or straight fittings ... I guess this is dependent on how I am going to route the PETG tubes. Do you guys have any tips? Mostly I am going to go for the EK fittings.
https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-hdc-fitting-12mm-g1-4-black
https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-af-angled-90-g1-4-black

Pump + Res:
Okay this is a bit tricky. I really have never mounted a pump/res before. I have seen a lot of pictures and videos of pumps in the 750D airflow edition but they always just appear there. Can I mount this on a fan or a radiator? Does it just get screwed into the case or drilled in? As I mentioned this loop is probably going to have a lot of bends. DDC 3.2 or D5 .. I was thinking of also going with the midget model instead of the longer one because I really cant pinpoint the exact location it will be mounted.
https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-xres-100-revo-d5-pwm-incl-pump

Fans:
The fans ... omg the fans .... There are sooo many freaking fans... My plan was to have a total of 3x140mm high static pressure fans + 3x120mm high static pressure fans + 2x120mm high air flow fans ... I do want a quiet build that does not give up too much performance.

I am really sorry for all the noob questions and I am extremely sorry for the long post .. I really do appreciate any help I can get.

Back