• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cutting a window?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JayoxD

I'm cutting a window in a silverstone TJ07, and do you think a dremel can be used to cut through it because it feels like a pretty high grade aluminum. Cause I wanna put some uv in my case, and see my dfi board glow!

thanks the answer - home depot here i come!

and can anyone recommend if i should cut a window in the shape of a picture? (like something that has a simple outline) (looking through the case mod gallery now for ideas!)

should i cut from the back of the case where it is silver, or from the front which is black and brushed aluminum? and if i cut should i tape both sides?

JayoxD said:
do you think a dremel can be used to cut through it because it feels like a pretty high grade aluminum.
No. Dremels are pretty useless for long straight cuts, especially for thicker materials. Get a jigsaw with a metal smooth-cut blade or break down and buy yourself a scrollsaw. And buy lots of masking tape while you're there.

im 15 :( i think a jigsaw will be fine for me then :)

but you sure i cant use a dremel though? cause i have one :D

i have done large, long and many cust with a dremel, and its hard but you can do it if you have a stedy hand. A jigsaw will be mutch faster, a standard window will take maybe 30min with a jigsaw going slow and doing a good job, where as it will take a few hours with a dremel.

case-L-1.jpg

All hand cut with a dremel.

thanks infinitevalence, I think ill get a jigsaw in the future and stick with a dremel for now, just spent like 2400 on the computer i just built so my mom might be a bit hesitant.

What case is that if i may add?

Skyhawk cheeop i dont think they make it any more but it was a decent case for the price, just needed alot of modifications :)

i added fan mounts 1 in the back and 1 in the front for a total of 4 case fans. I put in two windows one on each side. Added a rad blow hole on the top to exaust my hot air. Made a custome mounting plate for my LCD in the front of the case. and cut a mount for my koolance temp gauge.

do you think a dremel can cut through a silverstone? i dont know if the aluminums a little thicker or anything, but for the price of the tj07 i think it has to be some kind of quality material

For big window cuts i definetly recoment a band saw if you have access to one. But thats just me. My jig saws work fine on metal... but have a tendancey to eat plastic like no other.

dam infinitevalence that is a professional looking window :santa2:

go for a jigsaw. it worked well for my psu mounting...

Actually Dremel is a wonder tool, you can in fact cut a large window with only two cutting wheels but it takes AGES.
I did it on my first window, it was my first time with a dremel tool and I burned out the wheel in less then a minute and I was standing there thinking "WTF?" but then I started to barely touch the metal and just lightly skimming on it and after about and hour or two it was done with only two wheels. It was a nightmare, my back was trashed from leaning over, I was sweating like a pig because it was an uber hot summer day.
On this window I used a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade, it took around 3 mins. I drilled a pilot hole and just ran trough it, it was like cutting wood.
My dad did the finishing touches with a large file because he was on vacation and he was bored to death.
Both ware large windows on a steel case.

Make sure you get the reinforced cutting wheels. Its going to take a while to cut that side panel...

Don't got anybody to borrow a jigsaw from? You'll be done with everything in 20 minutes compared to 2 hours.

results will be the same right but its just dremel + time = jigsaw? :)

JayoxD said:
results will be the same right but its just dremel + time = jigsaw? :)
Depends on how steady your hand is with the Dremel. Its going to take awhile and if you cant mantain a straight line itll come out all crooked and youll be unhappy you messed with your new case.

yea im thinking of just getting a jigsaw, so how would i cut it, should i just put the panel between the backs of 2 chairs, and drill a pilot hole and go from there? Then after how would i mount it? with like nuts and bolts and have the nuts facing the inside, so it does look bad?

really apreciate the help everyone :)

First of all when using a jigsaw the panel has to fastened to a surface VERY hard, you need to eliminate as much movement of the panel in the up down direction.
As for mounting you can either glue it, use bolts or use the rubber linening they use for car windows. Most e-trailers that sell modding supplies will have the rubber in stock.

JayoxD said:
yea im thinking of just getting a jigsaw, so how would i cut it, should i just put the panel between the backs of 2 chairs, and drill a pilot hole and go from there? Then after how would i mount it? with like nuts and bolts and have the nuts facing the inside, so it does look bad?

really apreciate the help everyone :)
Frozencpu.com sells window molding and windows.

Back