• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cutting Lexan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is a spot where a hole saw with a variable speed drill would be the nuts. You can use a dremel, but keep the speed setting around 3-4, so you don't burn the lexan. It is a little tougher than acrylic. Just take your time, and use a sanding wheel to neaten up your hole(low speed).

I was planning on using my dremel with one of their "rotary saw" bits to cut some lexan. I figured that this type of cutter would be easier to control & give better results than using a cutting wheel. Has anyone else tried this & what were the results?

I haven't tried it, but it should work. I'd go in small sections as you cut the circle, to keep it from melting. If you have the router attachment for the dremel, and aguide you could probably do it all in one quick pass.

I've had to cut a few holes in my case, which is made out of plexi. The best way to cut a circular hole is to make a square hole and then work the edges with a grinding bit. The worst that happens as far as melting, is that the lexan will melt on to the dremel bit. I like to use the circular grinding wheel, becuase thats the only one the plexi didn't melt on to permanently :)

The best way to cut any shape (Hole/rectangle/square) is to use a jigsaw with a medium to fine blade (18-21 tpi) a pilot hole of about 10mm will allow the blade to drop into the hole to get you started on your cut. It is a good idea to try & mask the area with masking tape & if possible try & use a piece of ply board or simular wood at the back of the metal/plastic you are cutting, this helps stop vibrations. A fine file to finish off with.

Acko

Cutting hole in Lexan

"Acko" makes a very good point for using the "Backing Board" this should be tightly secured (c-clamp etc) to retard vibrations. Lexan is very tough but is succeptible to the harmonic distortions produced from sawing/drilling. The use of a moderate speed is also highly recommneded as mentioned to reduce melt risk. Just go slow lay out the template and go for it.
Good luck :)

I would also like to add that a few drops of parrafin act as an excellent lubricant.

Acko

Cutting lexan

Not trying for one upsmanship here Acko but I have found that ATF fluid (auto transm) is even better - it was designed for high temp applications and is also known as a "High Wetter" helps disperse heat and makes drag/friction virtually non-existant. Just and FYI.
God I love this stuff - went from building drag racing cars and motors to Hi performance computers- less greasy too:beer:

I used the spiral bit from a rotozip and used my dremel. Even at the real high speeds it cuts really well and doesn't melt. There are a couple of problems I had, if you don't hold the dremel tightly the bit will tend to wonder in a circle, wallow would be a good word for it. Leave room for finish trim and sanding as the rotozip bits tend to want to travel in the direction other than what you want it to and might go past the line of no return. Also the little bits of plastic that get cut off with the bit tend to be highly static charged and will stick to anything including yourself. And it's not easy to get off. I worked outside (from the second time on) and try to clamp the piece to a table so I could use both hands on the dremel. Just be real careful and go slow.

Mike

i can up with one way that works pretty good. i drill a hole in the center of the place where i want the hole to be. then i get a piece of metal or something rigid that is the radius of the circle. stick a nail into the hole and through the end of the metal piece. the dremel bit goes through the other end of the metal piece, and just work your way around like a compass.

worked for me. bracing it seems like a good idea too.

later

Back