• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Damn it! Does the new MSI nForce2 have a PCI lock or just a /6?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
He-he, does the BIOS allow you to set your FSB just under 133, between 128 and 132? If so, do you dare risking taking one for the team to prove if it has a PCI lock, supposedly if it doesn't, it'll scramble your hard drives...

yeah I'd go have a look, except that right now, my main psu enermax 430, has blown a fuse,( hopefully will work when I replace it ( fuses are 3 for a buck, so even if it doesnt work it was wortht the try ) so rght now I'm on a borrowed 250 watt, not nice 3.3v at 3.18 12v at 11.40

Just thought I would take one for the team to prove that these board really do have a PCI lock.

I have a MSI K7N2G-L with a 2100xp that I lowered the FSB to 129mhz on.

bios.jpg

And it booted up fine and loaded windows without a problem.

My board also runs my 2100xp at 2410mhz without a problem

Hope that helps ya

Looks like your bravery rewarded us all :). No normal hard drives(like your Maxtor and Western Digital) could possibly take a 43mHz PCI bus. There's a 1% that its actually just using a 1/4 divider to run the PCI bus below spec. But I doubt this, and it looks your particular board has a PCI lock. I'm also beginning to believe that just about all MSI nForce2 boards do. Looking at the Anandtech article, there is no evidence contrary to this, other than MSI's statement, which the moderators at their forum deny. I don't know anything about MSI's line of motherboards. Abit, for example, had three revisions prior to their Ultra 400 offering. Even their very latest pre-Ultra, the 1.2, had some corruption issues at high front side buses. The first ones were hard pressed to even reach 190. Perhaps MSI's have gone through a few revisions, only the first of which lacks a PCI lock, and perhaps is very rare. You don't see many NF7-S revision 1.0 these days, either. Could someone here clarify whether or not these boards have revisions? And which revisions do people own?

MSI didnt do any revisions on the K7N2 series the first release was K7N2-L and ILSR, the Delta and Delta-ILSR are basically revisions with a bit more added. But if your looking for something like K7N2-L version2.0 or something like that there is none. Hope that helps

did some testing myself while I was at a lan party, even with a 250 watt power supply, I was able to all frequency's stable including 129.

even though my 3.3 is at 3.18 and my 12 at 11.40 I still hit 2133 with my pc 266 cas 2.5 kingston value ram running 1:1 cas 2.0 with only slightly relaxed timings, but friday is shopping day, it's my birthday I'm getting myself something nice

Back