• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Damn That Elusive 4 Ghz!!!!!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I did it!!!! But look at the voltage it took. I obviously did it for bragging rights as it will not prime nor do I want to run it at this voltage for long.

I have a question though. I am thinking that I need a voltage droop mod. Or maybe some faster ram. When I put a load on it the voltage drops about .12-.17. What do you guys think? I have an Asus P4C800E-dlx and my PSU is an Antec Trueblue 480W. The memory is Hynix D43 PC-3200 ram running at 1:1 3-4-4-8. I tried at 3-3-3-7 but windows wouldn't boot at 236 fsb. Also I tried 5:4 and windows also wouldn't boot it liked 1:1 but maybe I don't have enough voltage. Bios only goes to 2.8 and thats what I have it set at.

I also tried to boot using 1.7 vcore and it wouldn't boot until I set it to 1.725 vcore.

Let me know what you guys think. Your help is appreciated.

Ed

Attachments

• 4ghz.JPG
    4ghz.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 223
Congrats Ed! Way to go man! :eek: at the volts though.

5GHz pfffffft! Who wants something that slow when you have 40GHz! LOL ;)

40ghz.jpeg

ed.howell said:
I guess I have to figure out how to get a good picture posted up here.
i can see the pic enough.
dont be useing that voltage again or your cpu may do something you may regret.
anyhow you need the vdroop mod badley thats why its taking so much voltage to get it to 4ghz as its fluctuation way to much.
the psu is fine im sure.

the ram doesnt like 2.8vdimm anyhow.
2.7 is the sweet spot.
i max my bt-d43 at 265 3.0-4-4-8 1:1
235 5:4 2.5-4-3-5
may do 200 2.5-3-3-5 i dunno didnt try.its rather flexable ram and runs great and it doesnt respond to high voltage or at least mine dont.

ed.howell said:
I did it!!!! But look at the voltage it took. I obviously did it for bragging rights as it will not prime nor do I want to run it at this voltage for long.

I have a question though. I am thinking that I need a voltage droop mod. Or maybe some faster ram. When I put a load on it the voltage drops about .12-.17. What do you guys think? I have an Asus P4C800E-dlx and my PSU is an Antec Trueblue 480W. The memory is Hynix D43 PC-3200 ram running at 1:1 3-4-4-8. I tried at 3-3-3-7 but windows wouldn't boot at 236 fsb. Also I tried 5:4 and windows also wouldn't boot it liked 1:1 but maybe I don't have enough voltage. Bios only goes to 2.8 and thats what I have it set at.

I also tried to boot using 1.7 vcore and it wouldn't boot until I set it to 1.725 vcore.

Let me know what you guys think. Your help is appreciated.

Ed

Maybe a droop mod would solve all your probs. :)

DocLiv said:
Congrats Ed! Way to go man! :eek: at the volts though.

5GHz pfffffft! Who wants something that slow when you have 40GHz! LOL ;)

40ghz.jpeg
i always run my agp/pci at 267/132 :)
gotta love program flaws.
and also benches done on ln2!

Thanks guys. Any idea on where I can get my motherboard vmodded? I am not very good with soldering. How much fluctuation on voltage will I get after I get the board modded?

Thanks again you guys are very helpful

ed.howell said:
Thanks guys. Any idea on where I can get my motherboard vmodded? I am not very good with soldering. How much fluctuation on voltage will I get after I get the board modded?

Thanks again you guys are very helpful
best well known free modder.
Hell-Fire contact personally by pm as you will not be able to see these guys threads.

oc.com forums very own : pwnt by pat
you will need to contact him personally also as i cant repost his thread.

Thanks a lot deathstar you are very helpful

Is it common for most prescotts to be good overclockers? I have access to 6 3.2E chips for my picking and am thinking maybe I should try those if this 3.4C doesn't work out for me. What do you think?

Last edited:
ed.howell said:
Thanks a lot deathstar you are very helpful

Is it common for most prescotts to be good overclockers? I have access to 6 3.2E chips for my picking and am thinking maybe I should try those if this 3.4C doesn't work out for me. What do you think?
NP man everyone here is helpfull in the same way as i.i could have never,ever gotten as far as i have without them.

stay with what you have atm,do the droop mod see how that affects it.
granted i cant tell much about the oc ability of the chip.its not in my hands so its even harder and can only make guesses.

but at the moment it isnt looking great.but a mobo with issues is worse than a chip that isnt a great ocer.so fix the mobo and more can be seen.

asus guys will hate me for this but can you send the mobo back and mabey exchange for an ic7? the asus is great once modded but the ic7 is great outa the box imo.

if your staying on air i suggest staying with the C chips.they seem to oc better as they run cooler,and cooler means better oc ability.

prescotts do oc better imo.but bring many issues with them.
1.higher heat
2.high stress on the mobo power circuits.
3.need mobo sinked out "IE" if its warm it gets a heatsink.
4.need very strong psu.

this may change as i see some possabilities of some DO's sneaking in soon.
supposedly they run a tad cooler and dont use as much amperage as the current CO prescotts.
these are what the new lga 775 cpu's are,but are almost impossible to find in socket 478.look here in the intel section you will see some of our search struggles that are on going.

Deathstar,

Is your IC7 modded? I am wondering if I switched from my Asus to the Abit would I have to get the IC7 droop modded to do what I wanted? Also if you switched motherboards would you have to reinstall windows and all your software.

PS.. I got one of the 6 Prescotts I was talking about to boot into windows at 3.92GHZ at 1.5vcore. That was just a quick test on a 400Watt PSU and the stock heatsink so I did not do any testing on it. Would you need to do a droop mod on the Asus board with the Prescott? Also what kind of things do you need to do, besides goot CPU cooling, to make a Prescott run this high with no problems?

Thanks a lot

Ed

ed.howell said:
Deathstar,

Is your IC7 modded? I am wondering if I switched from my Asus to the Abit would I have to get the IC7 droop modded to do what I wanted? Also if you switched motherboards would you have to reinstall windows and all your software.

PS.. I got one of the 6 Prescotts I was talking about to boot into windows at 3.92GHZ at 1.5vcore. That was just a quick test on a 400Watt PSU and the stock heatsink so I did not do any testing on it. Would you need to do a droop mod on the Asus board with the Prescott? Also what kind of things do you need to do, besides goot CPU cooling, to make a Prescott run this high with no problems?

Thanks a lot

Ed
wooops sorry i missed this post but caught the bump :)
feel free to pm me also for direct questions i dont mind them either.its just alot of times when posted they help others is all.

the only thing done to my ic7 is i have heatsinks added everywhere.
no volt mods atm,altho id like my vdimm modded to get over 2.8vdimm but that requires a vtt mod also.not a big issue tho,and really isnt needed unless i do hardcore ram ocing.
the ic7 seems to have a much more robust power sircuit for the cpu and doesnt need the vdroop mod.
some will say yes you need a windows install when changing mobos.
but long as the chipset is the exact same i say its ok to do.just reinstall the mobo drivers on the new one.
i swicthed from my epox p4ca3+ to this ic7 and didnt reinstall windows. i have no issues i can see.but id bet id get better performance if i did,which i will as im adding 2 raptors in raid0 in a week or so so thats why i did worry about reinstalling yet.

on your asus the vdroop mod will depend on how the mobo is handleing the cpu vcore wise.
if you start seeing big vcore swings like 1.5vcore drops to 1.42 and back up thats bad and needs droop mod.
also if the bios setting is undervolting way to low.this is best to ask the asus gus as they know the mobo better then i.

to run these at the max i suggest these things
the thermal take 112 tower docliv is useing looks great for these.
heatsink all mosfets and the pll. and add a fan over them.
make sure that psu is strong and high quaility as 400wt is pushing it bad for a precott but may be fine if its an fsp or antec.
get some good thermal paste of course. ceramique or as5

the one doing 3.92 at 1.5 looks promissing.
i wouldnt go over 1.55vcore myself and i use a prommy but i dont think much is know about whats best for a prescott vcore wise.
i do know id never go over 1.on your 6vcore tho.

Thanks again deathstar, no apology needed

That 3.2 Prescott I tried out on one of my computers at work thats why it only had a 400watt PSU, I think it was an Allied, not very good I don't think. I am going to try it out on my home computer-the one in my sig-probably pretty soon. I just installed the Hyper 6 so I don't want to take it apart just yet. I think this is a good tower too for cooling. I have had good results with it so far. I want the AS5 to settle in on this 3.4 I am going to do a droop mod first to see what I can push this 3.4 too. I am worried about the stress on my mobo with the prescott so if I can make the northwood scream I will do that.

i missed you had that hyper6 its just as good imo as the TT 112

i think with a droop mod that C will oc better also. it will see less high voltage spikes and valleys and you can lower the vcore overall.

the prescott is a stress on a mobo when maxed out,thats on a ic7 also.but the asus with a vdroop mod should prove to be just as good.
so yeh id do that mod and see how the C does then before swapping.

btw how high you had that ram 1:1? i like mine also but maxs out at 265 2.7vcore 3.0-4-4-8 and doesnt like higher voltage.
great ram for something sold as 2700 on my end.

The highest I have been able to get it because of the droop mod issue is 236fsb at 1:1 and 2.75 volts. I have noticed that it does not like 5:4. 3:2 works but who wants that. When I got it to boot a 236 it would boot at 1:1 but would not at 5:4. Weird huh. I have my timings set at 3-4-4-8. It would not even post whenever I changed the CAS to 2.5. I had to reset the CMOS.

Back