• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dave's mega antivirus test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do you have a link for that article Enkidu? I'd like to see what they say. Kaspersky and PC-cillin are in my opinion the two best antivirus you can get. And that's from years of testing and playing out with almost all of the antivirus programs I could get my hands on.

TollhouseFrank, getting the viruses was not that difficult actually you can somewhat easily find some zipped collections with a few hundred in it at a time. I just downloaded a bunch of them and put them all together. But I'm always looking to add some new ones to my collection so if any of you know where I could get some more please tell me. The more I got the better testing.

I just found this virus collector's site that did an even more thorough test than me, with more antivirus programs and alot more viruses with over 92000! lol

Kaspersky is #1 according to him too....

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=69&mnu=69

Last edited:
I had been thinking of switching to avast for a while from AVG but now I am gonna do it. I would maybe get some of the slightly better virus scanners but my new school uses the cisco clean access agent so they only support some and I know they support avast and it's free too!

wow... just installed kaspersky and you can really fill the increased speed!

plus... it found some much hated trojans. 8 to be exact. stupid norton, can't do anything right. :p

I like kaspersky becasue it doesn't slow down system that much as norton. It really matters when used on a laptop.

I don't really get norton. The 2003 version wasn't so bad but ever since that version, the newer revision were getting worse

Last edited:
Good Job sir_LOIN.

I would be curious to know how ClamAV (www.clamav.net), an open source cross-platform virus scanner, stands up to this test.

Also, if you pack this together nicely (add a few more virus scanners from the suggestions here, take a few metrics on disk space, CPU and memory use?) and write this up as an article, I'm sure Joe C. won't mind putting it on the front page. Articles written for the front page are usually entered into contests for money. An article like this, especially one that has credible and reproducible outcomes would be a valuable contribution.

I use nortons here. I hate the internet suite. Only use the stand alone AVprogram. I like the test and might be willing to try kapursky.

I also use "the cleaner" for trojan removal.

su root, I didn't plan on making this a full fledge review when I made this test, but I guess I could fix it up to make one. I didn't really bother to scan for mem usage and stuff like that when testing because to me what matters the most is how responsive my system is, believe me when I say that I notice right away when an AV makes it more sluggish... If it takes a millisecond longer than usual I notice. One of the most important thing to me too is how long it takes for the AV to do a manual scan, which are the only ones I do. Now that aspect I checked and got some screenshots to prove it, like AVG being the longest and Nod32 the fastest etc...

I tried out Clamwin as you suggested and I must say I was surprised, it worked well, it found 9917 viruses and was one of the fastest scanners. So it's good for an AV that you can get for free.

A full review would be perfect sticky material! Looks like I'm swithing AV's on the next reformat on all my machines. (Currently using norton av 2005)

I just submitted a word document of all this, so now I just gotta cross my fingers! lol

Wierd how ones that cost money aren't exponentially better than free ones...

does kaspersky even offer a free one?

EDIT-

Nevermind, I see that you didn't use the AVG free version...

Too bad I didn't know AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic 6, it did very good, found 10086, 2 more than pc-cillin 2005, scanned pretty good too in 1:29min, very good for a free program!

This test was requested by 'Joel Kleppinger' following the article, so if you have any AV that you'd like to be tested just ask me and I'll see what I can do. I obviously don't know every single AV programs out there and I might not have access to all of them...

You've asked for them, well here they are, 11 new AV tested!

McAfee VirusScan 10 10026
BitDefender Pro 9 9953
Eset Nod32 v2.5 9707
Arcavir 2005 9707
Virus chaser 5 9790
Norman Virus Control 581 9765
eScan Virus Control 2.6.518.8 9937
Drweb-432b 9832
BullGuard v6 9966
Virus Buster Pro 2005 9188
MKS vir 2005 9706

I use avast.. it scans every single ingoing and outgoing packet and all text messages.... it scans fast and also detects bad ad-ware. minor adware it dosnt care about... thats what lavasoft is for. Its saved me from many many virus/trojan/ad-ware...
avast gets my vote... its ram friendly to :)

sir_LION,
I would like to request at your convienence to test the following program.
EWIDO security suite www.ewido.net

I got infected with a NASTY NASTY spyware infection. This was the only program that detected it. I would be interested in how its antivirus suite holds up. there is a free 15 day trial.
heres the thread if you ever get this spyware.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=4022180#post4022180

thanks!

Thanks for doing this test. I just uninstalled my Symantec Antivirus and am giving Kaspersky trial a shot.

bump,

i use the mcafee programs myself, easy interface. i use the whole security suite, only issue is they "spyware detective" spy/adware remover, the free versions of adaware and spybot work better.

my favorite online scanner is trendmicro's housecall.

guys is seems za has the best firewall
kapersky?? has the best av scanner
etc etc

can you mix and match these on your pc? i used mcafee because its an all in one.

Back