• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dawn Of War .......... Impressions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cowboy X

I have played the demo and franlky I love the game , I think I will be buying it this year .

The things which I don't like so far include difficulty in moving large units around other vehicles and the inability to select individual soldiers in a squad . there is also some dodgy lipsyncing in the cutscenes but otherwise I think this game roxx !!

What are your impressions ?

Last edited:
I think the squad system is very cool - the control you have over your squads behavour far exceeds any other games control of their individual units :)

but yes, the pathfinding is quite an issue - sometimes it can be frustrating...it has been shouted at relic since early beta and afaik little has been done about it - but overall I have enjoyed this game immensley since the beta and really apart from certain exploit bug fixes and balancing not much has changed since it.

The awful voice acting and up close cutscene animations were truly bad. We're talking worse than anything in the last 3 years bad. I'm surprised they'd even consider releasing an RTS with stuff that bad after Blizzard raised the bar so much. The animations and basic stuff was pretty solid but the pathfinding still sucks horribly and the units are still unbalanced. Why did they have to screw around with unit toughness after over 20 years of careful balancing. I hope they release the SDK so somebody can do a seriously cool total conversion. Change the unit attributes and make it so you don't generate units, you play with what you start with (that you could select prior to the match). I basically just want WH40K in real time. I don't know about anyone else, but I think the Orks got the shaft out of all the armies. The Space Marines decimate them over open terrain with the Hold Ground stance and some heavy bolters. Seriously, I had three squads of Marines with about 8 heavy bolters between them and they just tore everything up. Of course, it helps to have Scouts with Infiltrate posted at bottlenecks so they heavy bolters get to open up on 'em early.

And that brings me to another thing. 4 heavy weapons in a squad? I belive you're thinking of a Decimator squad. No Tactical squad would have more than 2 heavy weapons. I can't believe they did that.

I really can't wait until the fans get their hands on it and do an upgrade/overhaul like they did with Homeworld 2.

Has anyone seen the Star Wars mod for HW2? It's so incredibly wicked looking. Utterly awesome.

Cowboy X said:
the inability to select individual soldiers in a squad

They couldn't do it because it would throw off their entire interactive animation system. Each squad is treated as an individual unit.

Why did they have to screw around with unit toughness after over 20 years of careful balancing

?

the balancing in the game is fine - the only gripe really is the eldars ability to get the seer council so early in the game, but even then its nothing too bad. Relic have also said this game is not about the table top version so whilst pre chosen armies would be a cool mod, for the sake of their game they werent going to do it.

i am liking it a lot. although, i also wish it was more like the real game. i have been playing WH40K for years and this is best video game made out of it, but it is still not perfect. Meh, you cant have everything, and this is still a fun game. I think they should have had more variety, and armies (even if there is building) should have to comply to force orginization charts like the tabletop game. i can build 2 dreadnaughts with auto cannons, 2 hellfire dreadnaughts, and 4 squads of marines with 2 heavy bolters and 2 missle launchers and be grossly invinclible.

i also think the reinforcement thing is just cheap. it makes no sense for non-teleporting units to just appear...

my impression from the multiplayer beta is it's a crappy zerg fest... i'll pass this p without blinking.

Pretty cool game.

Beat the SP in 2 days.

Problems that i have with the game:

-Single Player campaign is way way way to short
-Pathfinding is pathetic for RTS in 2004
-No option to zoom out a bit further
-and the lisynching

Dunno why people are dissing the Dialogue, etc, who sounds bad to you then? I think in SP all the characters in the cutscenes sounded ace.

Cowboy X said:
I'd play as the Force Commander .

I'd want the game to be laid out as a single campaign, like MoH, start as a regular Marine, after a couple missions get promoted to Sargeant and lead the squad (probably only 5 Marines per squad for logistical purposes), and move up from there. It would be so cool to board a Space Hulk and flush out Tyranids with a hand flamer and chainsword. It'd be like Doom 3, but GOOD. Of course, you'd have a cool HUD and everything too, even with useless crap like atmospheric composition, tempeature, etc, kinda like MechWarrior 2. And you'd have icons tracking the status of your squadmates and such.

Actually, MechWarrior 2 is the perfect model for a WH40K FPS, it would just have to be more squad based than solo missions.

And Fire Warrior did suck, but that doesn't count. It was a crappy console game with the TAU as your character. What the hell were they thinking?

Grov said:
Dunno why people are dissing the Dialogue, etc, who sounds bad to you then? I think in SP all the characters in the cutscenes sounded ace.

The actual dialogue script was ***. The corniest dialogue I've heard from a video game in quite a while. And the voice actors weren't particularly good either but they did have a horribly script to work with.

Also the way they look up close, their legs go all funny when they run and they spin at 90mph on a dime as soon as they're done talking. It looked retarded during the cut scenes. They should have had more prerendered stuff like the intro movie. That was so wicked looking.

WejRepus said:
yea, the intro scene was so sick... i really wish they had more of that kind of stuff because that was up there with Blizzard cut scenes

I showed a friend who told me that if it was a movie ,he'd watch it .

Hell yes. But you'll never see a WH40K movie. Even the fully CG movie they were making got canned. But then again, it was based off the Warhammer Monthly comic Bloodquest which I though was pretty 'meh'. If anyone has read the book 'Inquisitor' by Ian Watson (re-released as 'Draco' by the Black Library), that's the movie I'd want to see, but more realistically, a semi-generic war movie style 40K movie would kick total ***. Open with Marines finishing a campaign against an Ork incursion then switch gears and do the invasion of Hive Fleet Behemoth and the Battle of Macragge. Three hours of LotR size battles or bigger, but less dialogue. It would be great.

just played the demo, its great!
has anyone played multiplayer yet? how is it?
i just played skirmish against the computer, but i dont have a chance at the second difficulty level :-/
any tips?

Back