• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR2 667 SODIMM 2GB - PNY or...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Loquad

I'm looking to max the ram my macbook pro can handle by adding a 2gb DDR2 667 SODIMM PC2 5300 card.

I believe this will cost me about $50, and I found a deal from PNY that includes free shipping and a free 8GB SDHC card I have no use for.
Is PNY reliable?
Or is there another deal or brand I should get instead?
Is there any reason I should not use this in my macbook? (like incompatibility)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...178256&cm_re=DDR2_5300-_-20-178-256-_-Product

PNY is a fine brand.

Need more details about your macbook pro, so that we can make sure your laptop supports memory with the specifications of the item you linked. If your macbook pro is from before 2009, that memory is compatible.

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2008) and earlier; MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2008) and earlier
Memory specifications:

Your MacBook Pro computer has two memory slots that you can access by removing the memory door in the battery bay. Your MacBook Pro comes with at least 512 megabytes (MB) of 667 MHz Double Data Rate (DDR2) Synchronous Dynamic Random-Access Memory (SDRAM) installed. It may have more memory preinstalled, depending on the configuration you chose when you bought your computer.

Both memory slots can accept an SDRAM module that meets the following specifications:

Double Data Rate Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (DDR SO-DIMM) format
30mm (1.18 inch)
200-pin
PC2-5300 DDR2 667 MHz Type RAM
Maximum memory recognized by these computers

Refer to this table for the maximum amount of memory that can be recognized by these portable computers:

Maximum amount of memory recognized by these computers

2 GB

MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro (17-inch), MacBook Pro (15-inch, Glossy)

3 GB

MacBook Pro (15-inch and 17-inch Core 2 Duo) - Although these notebooks will accept up to a 2 GB SO-DIMM in each of the two memory slots, this model will only support 3 GB total memory. If you want to maximize the amount of SDRAM in your computer, install a 2 GB SO-DIMM in one slot and a 1GB SO-DIMM in the other.

4 GB

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2 GHz), MacBook Pro (17-inch 2.4 GHz), MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2009), MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2008)

source: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1270

Thanks for the fast reply! I have a Macbook Pro 15-inch with a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I purchased it in early 2007, before they updated it. I believe it takes a maximum of 3 GBs of ram, and it has a 1 GB stick in already.

I just ordered the new Western Digital HDD, 750 GB 2.5'' 9.5mm. And I'd like to clean the fans/heatsinks and reapply the thermal paste, because this thing gets way too hot. I want to do it all at once, totally revitalize it without opening it several times. So I need to pick my ram...

That fits the bill for the 3GB limitation stated above - looking at the info provided, I'd say that memory will do the trick it sounds like! Would be nice if apple's support doc was more specific, seems really odd to me the way they identify the machines late-this, early-that... Kind soft, would be good to have hard figures or something more concrete to work with.

If you haven't bought any, ensure you get some good named thermal paste - if you are going through the trouble already, you don't want to skimp with a moderate quality paste. :thup:

Thanks for the help!

It's definitely odd, but apple doesn't seem to facilitate modifications in any way.

If there's anything better than Arctic Silver 5, let me know. Otherwise, I'm going to order a 3.5 gram tube of that.

Back