• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR5 is it possible to get lower latency than DDR4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

TItle says it all, has DDR5 matured enough so that it can now get better latency than the best DDR4 sticks?

It's a different technology, and large/fast cache covers that well, so it doesn't really matter. However, if you have good enough sticks, then you can go down to ~45ns, looking at AIDA64 results. On DDR4 you can go down some more, I don't remember exactly, but it's something around 5ns difference.
The best out of the box is something about 55ns on DDR4 and 60ns on DDR5. Around 10-15ns can be gained from manual settings (on kits with very relaxed timings and low frequency, you can get even 30ns+). The difference in most games and tests is somewhere around 0-1%.
Different chipsets and CPUs give different results. I said how it looks on mid-shelf, but still higher series dual channel.

I think we will see some more changes to DDR5 soon, like additional controllers for higher frequencies directly on RAM modules. I was wondering what Patriot is presenting at CES and mentioned 9000 kits, but now I know what they meant. There is no guaranteed platform to run DDR5 above 8000 right now, so it was surprising that soon (and before the premiere of next-gen CPUs) they said that 9000 stable is on the way.

It took a year for DDR5 to adopt to the point that most, if not all, issues were solved. The second year and the second wave of ICs covered about everything and were problem-free. Also, higher-density ICs were released for a second time. 24/48GB modules were introduced without issues, and 64GB modules will be soon but are already covered by BIOS. In every memory generation before, we had to wait much longer for density increase. I don't know if we will see DDR5 128GB memory modules without ECCR, as on the way is already something new, but so far for laptops.

Last edited:
Back