• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ultimategtr

Registered
Hi All,

My mobo was giving me problems intermittantly - Where it would reboot randomly losing all the bios info. Sometimes I would also get a message saying "New CPU Installed", wtf! lol.

Anyway, I called up the store, and they asked me to bring the mobo for a replacement.

I got the new one, took it home and installed it, and that didnt post at all. So I did the usual, clear CMOS(jumper/batter), no go. Then I started to remove the SATA, Video card, RAM, then the CPU. Still nothing. Tried onboard video, got no video. Reset CMOS, again, set the core unlocker button to off, and tried pushing the MemOK! Button - No go. No post at all, nor video - The Fans spin as expected but to me its def dead. The only time the mobo was out of the anti static wrapping was when I was installing it in my case, and I was grounded so no chance of static causing issues.

I took it back saying its faulty - They are replacing it again,

My question here is - Could there be something else causing that mobo to not post?

Asus M4A88TDM-EVO/USB3
AMD X6 1090t
8G Kingston Hyperx CL9(had that RMA'd too thinking my RAM was faulty)
650w CM PSU
Sapphire 6850 HD PCIe

I spent about 2 hours trying to get the new mobo to work :(

(Havent used my rig for over 2 weeks now :( )

That really should be good.

The first one might have been a battery issue, the second one sounds completely dead. Hopefully the third will go better!

Could be the processor dude. Though there is a lot of evidence pushing to the mobo. Have you carefully inspected the cpu? Bent or burnt pins? Your PSU looks sufficient, however, I would check the connectors and make sure there is no sign of a short.

Bf3 FTW, indeed :attn:

Cheers guys - Processor?! lol, hell no, it was fine. Even if it was a processor, the board SHOULD return a video feed and/or beeps indicating a hw malfunction.

I actually thought it might have been the battery - but the mobo is only about 8 months old, and the problem was intermittent since I built it day one.

PS - Yes, BF3 rox!!! Cant wait to get my rig back so I can crank ***** up! :D

I just called the guy - Said that the mobo is booting fine ..??? Said that the cmos jumpers were set to clear (pin 2-2) - I set it like that after I finished with it thinking maybe it needs to be cleared overnight(as if).

WTF - Said that it was posting fine with my CPU in. Stupid mobo! I will pick it up after work today.

I dont get it. I didnt do anything wrong, but now the guy will think I'm stupid and cant put a small board together.

Ok, i have it here at home. SAME problem.

I dont know what to do.

I have made sure:

20 pin power connector is on
4 pin pwr connector is on
clrtc jumper is set to 1-2(tried clearing)
removed gfx/sata

Same problem.. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Help!?!!

Hey Ultimategtr

I see that this thread is a little bit outdated, but I´m currently facing exactly the same problem as yours. The only difference is that my mobo is a M4a88TD-M (not EVO). Yesterday I was working with my computer and it just died. Tried everything, pulled out the mobo, cleaned up fans, reinserted CPU (AMD Phenon X6), clear CMOS, etc... Still not a sign of life... Power led on mobo shows it´s being powered, fans are working, no flashing LEDs... and still not POSTing, nothing appears on monitor...

How did you solved your problem?

Hey demosfx,

The issue I had was that the mounting screws in the new case werent screwed in right, which was posisbly shorting the mobo. What I initially did was take the mobo out of the case and power it up on my desk, and guess what, it worked!

I then inspected the case, and I saw the mobo was missing some of the mounting screws. I took all the mounting screws out and did them properly, and it worked after, lucky I didnt fry anything else tho!

Check that, try running it outside the case to see whether itl work, if not then it might be your mobo.

Is yours a replacement mobo or the original?

Hey Ultimategtr

Thanks for the reply. I didn´t try to mount it out of the case. Will try it now. But I don´t think this is the problem, because my setup was running fine for almost one year and the case have never been even moved from the place it was.
It´s the original mobo.

Well, it´s worthy to give it a try.

Thanks!

Ahh, okay that probably wont make a difference if its been in the box for a year or so.

Do you have the DRAM button on your motherboard? If so, try pushing that, or holding it down.

Have you tried booting off JUST the motherboard, ie no cpu/ram/hd/gpu? Also, is your speaker built in, or do you have a 2 pin connector - If its a plugin like mine(2 pin connector), then check to see whether its lose.

Lastly, you dont have any weird smell coming from your PSU, or the Mobo when its on?

Back