• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead Silent Computing: A Tangible and REAL Solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-TheGreek-

So you want a silent PC? I mean TRULY silent, as in DEAD silent. So silent that you when you power up your rig your friends will think the mobo is fried. Well, I’ve got your definitive solution. In this article I will outline and discuss the factors that cause noise in a standard rig, as well as what I tested and the final products I chose. This thread is for a non-overclocked rig. I will post a follow-up thread in a couple of days/weeks regarding a SILENT rig in an overclocked environment as well.
_
First of all, let's state the sad oxymoron: “silent computing”. Silence is inversely proportional to heat production. That is to say, the quieter your PC is, the more heat it will produce. I’m going to complicate my testing environment by introducing a CPU that naturally runs hot: an AMD XP 1600+ Palomino. In case you don't know what I mean , the Palomino, or "Pally", runs about 5 degrees Celsius hotter than the newer "Thoroughbred" processor. Therefore, I have to create an environment that is not only silent, but I must consider and measure heat dissipation to ensure a RELIABLE rig. My final temperatures after I implemented a truly SILENT PC, were 44 degrees idle and 48 degrees load. These temps are FAR below the astounding 70 degree threshold recommended by AMD and are acceptably lower than the 50 degree limit that OCers use as a heuristic.
_
To establish a baseline, I set this rig up in a 15*12 study without any other components running, i.e. another rig, hub, router, etc. In other words, nothing else impeded or distracted my ear. Unfortunately, I did not have access to a decibel meter during my tests, which introduced a world of subjectivity. However, since I am not paid by or affiliated with any hardware manufacturer, rest assured that my opinion is completely unbiased. Beyond that, I am an audiophile with an acute ear for sound, lending further credibility to my opinions.
_
Okay, let’s get started. First off, let's identify what makes noise in a standard case:
1. Your CPU fan(s) (duh!) It is the loudest component
2. Case fan(s)
3. Video card fan(s)
4. Power supply fan(s)
5. Hard Drive(s)
6. Optical Drive(s) CDs/DVDs etc.
_
We all hear about Thermaltake's "SILENT" fans or Vantec's "STEALTH" line, but are they really silent? Obviously there is some subjectivity based upon your hearing and the ambient noise in the room, but this techie says no, they are not SILENT, just quiet. Those products are great and I recommend both, but not for SILENCE. _For the purpose of this article, and testing, I am looking for a TRULY silent solution... i.e. 20 decibels or less at all times. I'll address my solutions in reverse order of how I list them above:
_
6. Optical Drives – I did not implement a solution here.
At rest, any optical drive is SILENT. Perhaps someone else can add to this thread here, but I believe you are out of luck on SILENT optical drives at load, that is maximum strain. The nature of a multiplied drive is just that, it is that many times faster. A 52x drive will bust through 40 decibels at load (gasp!). _Physics simply states you can't deaden that which must be loud. Yes, you can pay more a Sony 52x drive that yields lower decibel levels at the same speed as a generic $30 52x drive. Again though, it STILL makes a ton of noise when we are talking about SILENCE. Since you only access your drive when you play music, load software, or play games, you can deal with the rare airplane takeoffs.
_
5. Hard Drives – Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM 2MB buffered ATA-133 drive
Most HDDs are silent at rest. However, if you have an older drive, that might not be the case. I've got an old 4GB ATA-66 Western Digital in the kitchen that is LOUD. In today's terms, that is ATA-100/133 drives, good ones are silent, even at load. Therefore, let's scratch this noisemaker off the list. If you want a recommendation, I use two Maxtor 40GB 7200 2MB buffered ATA-133 drives in a SATA RAID 0+1 array. They are silent at load. I think I paid around $75 each, brand new including shipping (www.ebay.com ).
_
4. Power Supply – Thermaltake 420W Active PFC (Power Factor Correction)
I was shocked at how loud my factory PSU was after I eliminated all the other noisemakers in my case. Ironically, you don’t notice the sound on a normal rig because your CPU and case fans are louder than the PSU. I wanted a 400W+ unit, so I tried three different and highly touted PSUs from our OC Forum:
1. Thermaltake 420W Active PFC (Power Factor Correction)
2. Vantec 420W Aluminum Stealth
3. Antec 480W True Blue
They’re in the order of the most silent to the least silent. The Thermaltake PSU was so silent that I could barely hear a whisper, even when I put my ear to within two inches of the back side of my case. Further, the Thermaltake has rock solid rails. Check out www.thermaltake.com for more details. Pricing varies, I paid $80 on www.ebay.com , including delivery.
_
3. Video Cards – Zalman ZA80A-HP SILENT Heat Pipe
There are tons of cards on the market. Finding a silent fan for your OC’d card (or factory clock) can be time-consuming and pricey. Sadly enough, the same card from one manufacturer may have a different fan than from another manufacturer. For example, an ASUS Geforce TI4200 may have a quiet Thermaltake fan on the GSU, while a Chaintech Geforce TI4200 has a clunky loud fan stuck on with a crappy thermal stick.
I went with a guaranteed silent solution for nearly ALL modern vid cards, even in an OC’d environment. I chose the Zalman ZA80A-HP SILENT Heat Pipe. Deployed out of the box, it literally encases your video card in copper, dissipating heat evenly through a heat pipe. Check out www.zalmanusa.com for details. Pricing varies; look hard on www.ebay.com , www.newegg.com, or www.googlegear.com . I paid $27.00 on ebay, not including delivery.
_
2. Case Fans – None!
For this rig, without overclocking, I ditched all my case fans. The only fan I utilized was the one on the CPU, which is addressed in the next solution. It is worth noting that I tried Vantec’s SF8025L 80mm Stealth fans, which advertise 21dBs . I also tried Panaflo’s FBA08A12L 80mm 21dB fans. Unfortunately, both of them far exceeded silent. The Panaflo fans did yield slightly LESS noise when I held both fans in my hand.
_
1. CPU Fans – Zalman CNPS6000-CU Silent CPU Cooler
The copyright-pending flower heatsink created by Zalman is visually stunning. It’s unique design and look is at the very least a display piece. If you have a plexiglass side panel, this could be the crème-de-la-crème cooler mod you have been looking for. Of course, for this thread we are only interested in its noise level and heat dissipation functions. Let me just say, it works.
The cooler comes with its own 92mm adjustable fan that literally “floats” above the heatsink. Using a bracket that attaches to the screw panel you use to secure you PCI, ISA, and AGP cards, the fan hangs above the heatsink, eliminating the “whine” often produced by other cooler fans. It comes with a bulky, yet adjustable fan speed controller that measures about 1*2. At its lowest level, the fan is utterly SILENT. At its highest level, it rates along side other 34dB fans, which is completely unacceptable for a SILENT rig. $35 on www.ebay.com I will be using the same cooler on my overclocked thread due to come out soon. It will be interesting to see if I can keep the fan at its lowest setting and still maintain acceptable temperatures.
_
In the end, Thermaltake, Zalman, and Maxtor provided me with solutions that yielded an eerily SILENT computer. Not quiet, DEAD SILENCE; nothing, NADA. You get the picture yet? A Pentium II box that sits next to it sounds like a freight train in comparison. If you demand utter silence from your P4 2.4GHz or XP 2800 with today's fastest video card, my solution will work for you.

-thegreek-
"Vinem et musica laetificant cor"
Wine and music gladden the heart

XP1600+ Pally
ECS K7S5A v3.x
256 Generic DDR2100
Chaintech GeForce 2 TI
Windows 2000 AS

nice read. may i suggest the seagate hard drives... they are much much quieter than the maxtor ones. ive had both.

---edit---
i think the seagate hard drives that im talking about are the Barracuda ATA IV's. 7200rpm 40gb

I'd also like to throw watercooling into the mix here, I watercool for silence, and as far as I'm concerned, the only way to keep an XP cold enough to run with no fans is through watercooling, and a large radiator with no fans on it.

I watercooled my CPU, NB and GFX card. Then I did my HDDs ( 2 ) so that I could encase them in foam to cut down the noise they produced ( despite being Seagate IV's they still make SOME noise )

Then I did the mosfets in the PSU, and removed all the fans.

I ended up with a case temp of about 45 degrees, and my soundcard and netwrok card chips were burning hot to touch, but it ran like this perfectly happily for 2 months with no reboot. I even managed a modest 20% overclock on an XP1600.

Passive cooling that will work for a PII cannot realisticly be applied to an AMD XP. You need some sort of active cooling, which means water, if you want silence.

Hey thegreek,

Glad to see you jumping onto the growing silent-pc-bandwagon. A few comments:

#1: The CNPS-6000 is reported to have a weak clip. Not enough pressure on the CPU die. On top of that, there are better + cheaper heatsinks available for the Athlons. Namely the SK7.
#2: Agreed, no fan @ 12V is even remotely silent. That's why most of us run @ 7 volts or less.
#4: Glad to hear the TT PSU is doing okay for you. I'll keep that model in mind for future ref.
#6: Nero offers a utility for limiting the speed of a CD/DVD. There's also another utility called CD-Bremise that does the same. I personally have had success with using rubber to block the noise from my drives.

More things to consider: ducting for better cooling, hdd suspensions & enclosures for more silencing, undervolting your CPU for less heat disappation.

Technically it still won't be absolutely silent, but maybe you can get it so that the sound of your own breathing is louder than your comp. Also, you can try a larger fan when you're OCing, similar to this thread, although you'll probably be using the FanMate/rheostat/rheobus to limit the RPM. There's a nice fan comparison here.

Nice article TheGreek, i dont mean to critisize too much but the system will be nowhere near dead silent. I am going for dead silence and this is where im at:

7v'd power supply unit fan. I can hear it from across the room believe it or not.

Watercooled cpu. I have an eheim 1048 which is one of the quieter pumps, it is suspended in the case by rubber bands to eliminate vibration and i can still hear a dull low pitched hum from it from across the room as well.

Seagate Barracuda IV silent hard drive. Proven to be the quietest hard drive out there, a lot quieter than the maxtor drive. This component is my loudest and it drives me mad. Ironic to think that a silent hard drive in my pc appears to be the loudest component. In regular pc's with uber fans, yes it would be silent with the ammount of background noise there is. With my setup there is virtually no background noise, just faint humm of my 7v psu fan and the waterpump. I have looked into buying a silentdrive but the seagate produces too much heat for that and am still looking. It produces a high pitched whine when your computer is on from the motor.

I think your setup is good but more suited for the title of "Quiet Computer" more than "Dead Silent Computer"

Dont take offence, i didnt mean to sound harsh if i did.

Seal

Well seal dead silent is impossible. The simple fact is that somewhere you're going to have moving parts LoL!

Anyways. This is why we have voltage controllers for fans and water cooling.

A few months back, someone posted about a truely silent computer they were building -- no moving parts. They used convective cooling for case and PSU ventilation, a flash-memory-based hard drive, and no floppy or optical drives.

If you want your computer to be dead silent, why don't you just get really long cables so you can put the case in a closet or in another room?

seal said:
7v'd power supply unit fan. I can hear it from across the room believe it or not.
Glad to see another hardcore silencer, seal. That's what silent should really mean - 7 volts or less.

I have an eheim 1048...and i can still hear a dull low pitched hum from it from across the room as well.
Are those pumps submergable in water?

Seagate Barracuda IV silent hard drive.... Ironic to think that a silent hard drive in my pc appears to be the loudest component....I have looked into buying a silentdrive but the seagate produces too much heat for that and am still looking.
Have you considered the Smart Drive? Works better than the SilentDrive and safe with 7200rpm drives too. googlegear has it. If you're interested, I'm currently using DIY rubber hdd enclosures with good results, but it requires active cooling.

powergyoza said:

Glad to see another hardcore silencer, seal. That's what silent should really mean - 7 volts or less.

Heh yeah me too!!!

Yes the eheim 1048 is submersible but im watercooling/silencing in a mini tower so space is very limited. Im probably going to make a custom acrylic box for the pump and fill it with foam or something, it only does a low pitched humm which should be relatively easy to silence.

Have you considered the Smart Drive? Works better than the SilentDrive and safe with 7200rpm drives too.

Cool, thats pretty much exactly what im looking for! Bit pricey though but i spose i am going for dead silent! Im gonna look up on it... anyone else tried it yet?

Seal

I agree seal. That system would drive me insane, and I've a friend who has something better than that (Zalman FHS, Panaflo in the PSU(at 7v), and a liquid bearing Maxtor, heavily padded in roofing tiles.)

Nice to see another person in search of silence, though :)

I'm a little suprised that you can hear your Ehiem, seal, I mean that's a quality pump. I can't hear my Maxi Jet 1200 at all; it's just suspended in a res. And I mean that I truely can't hear it; sometimes I get worried that it's working at all.

So far all I've left to do it rid myself of a 7volted Panaflo in my PSU. Watercooled XP1600+ AGOIA with passive rad, watercooled GF4, Seagate Cuda IV 7200 80GB, passive NB.

Silent drive looks good, but way to expensive for me. I'll take a jolly old trip to the Home Depot sometime next week and take a look at drive silenceing; I'm going to WC them and try to veer away from foam in favor of something with more subtance (cemnt, wood, cremic tiles, etc). If I come up with anything good I'll write something up :)

Cheers, all :)

Axle said:
I'm a little suprised that you can hear your Ehiem, seal, I mean that's a quality pump. I can't hear my Maxi Jet 1200 at all; it's just suspended in a res. And I mean that I truely can't hear it; sometimes I get worried that it's working at all.

So far all I've left to do it rid myself of a 7volted Panaflo in my PSU. Watercooled XP1600+ AGOIA with passive rad, watercooled GF4, Seagate Cuda IV 7200 80GB, passive NB.

Heh sounds like were in exactly the same boat. I can hear my eheim hum, it isnt suspended in a res its just sitting suspended in my case. Im sure if it was suspended in a res it would be silent but i have not got the space in my case to do anything like that.

Sounds like i have similar setup to you. I have 7volted psu fan. Watercooled xp2200+. GF2 without a fan!! (it does just fine). Seagate Cuda IV 7200 80GB (same as u), passive NB - zalman. What rad do you use? How is it with passive cooling?

Im using a Black ice pro with a 120mm fan at about 4V which is the highest voltage it will go, silent. Temps are a very reasonable 50 deg C full load but a big factor which i have to consider with my silence setup is that im running without a case side. At the moment im finding it more efficient, as if i put the case side on, temps are higher so i have to increase the fan speed, to get it to the equivalent temperatures i end up with more noise.

As for my hard drive, my main problem. Yes it will be expensive but i think its worth it. Ive seen a watercooled silencing hd case about somewhere but it is aluminium and have heared bad things about corrosion and battery effect and cant find a copper equivalent anywhere. Wrapping it up isnt really a good solution as the my cuda IV 80gb runs quite hot, around 40 deg - 45 deg under constant use. This is too much for the silentdrive to handle but the smart drive looks ok.

When I wanted a quiet system I carefully selected parts system that had passive cooling as such I now own a PC which has no fans at all (including the PSU) and runs all day at under 30 C with no water :D

Menace: pics? Sounds interesting. You're not the guy from Japan with a HS the size of Mexio, are you?

seal, your Seagate is that hot? Is it really squished in there? I've got an Alienware rip off (Antec SX1040 or something?), with the side off, and after nearly a week of running (the mule is at work ;)), and some periods of full load (UT2K3 for a few hours), it's not even warm to the touch. I felt it all over, and there's no way anything on it is above 25c.

My rad is a special variaty of bootleg, but I ripped it off a very smart man named Gerwin on the procooling fourms. I don't want to link the images (they'd blow the margins), but they're here and here. If it were bigger/ two of them I think I'd really see a big performence increase. The whole thing cost ~$10.

I lied earlier:)D), I just got my AGIOA two days ago and am going to install it today (along with a new Abit KR7A RAID), but right now my T-bird 1.2 (Shuttle AK31) is 38c, under some load (a few IEs & winamp; emule), but after hours of gaming it still never goes above 42c or so (I don't know if thats good, or bad). Can't wait to slap that new XP in here!!

What setup and parts do you have unseen menace? The only parts i can think of is a low powered mini itx c3 processor (500mhz approx) with one of them special 55W psu's that kinda look like laptop ones with the extra box thing on the power lead.

I know a little about these systems as im thinking of making my 2nd machine it'll probably be a mini atx though with a slightly cooler processor (not sure which yet, maybe a duron 1.3ghz or something like that) cooled by a zalman copper flower passively. Im not sure which processor emits the least heat though so ive got a little research to do, i want it to be around minimum of 1ghz though as i'd probably use it as a filestore server and folding machine. Probably with one of those 55W psu's as im not going to be using any power hungry devices such as a cdrom or floppy, just the mobo and hd and thats it.

If ur interested in the mini 55w psu, check it out here.

Back