• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Debian and pci-e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
I have been messing about with a pci-e video card of late and the ONLY distro I can get it working in is Gentoo.

(Works in 2.4 kernel with vesa, but NOT 2.6. I also need the improvements in 2.6 as well as pci-e.)

For various reasons, I NEED to get this working in Debian, but I just can NOT get rid of the error for the card- unknown pci device.
In other distros I have messed with, this seems to be a failure to have pci-e working correctly.

I don't even NEED the nvidia 3d drivers to work- just a gui, to make some of the tasks easier.

I have installed the 2.6 kernel, and everything else works fine, but I simply can NOT get the nvidia card recognized.

Any ideas, folks?

If I can't get thing thing working, I have to redo another machine entirely so I can continue the project I am working on.

If it's the PCI ID, then try /usr/bin/update-pciids
Is this a kernel problem or a X11 problem? kernel, you can easily compile your own kernel from vanilla kernel sources for example. If it's X11 you might have to use sid for xorg or get a backport for stable

I am pretty sure it is a kernel problem.

I did one abortive attempt at a vanilla kernel, and got some errors about the config.
The most recent one is straight from the debian repository, so it works fine....except for the lack of pci-e.

First thing I'll try is the update-pciids, see if that does anything, then I think I'll try doing another vanilla kernel- may have better luck with this attempt (if needed) since I DO have a (mostly) working 2.6 kernel config now. last time all I had was the 2.4 from the install.

Ok, /usr/bin/update-pciids worked. :)

Thank you for that. :)

Now I just need to get xfree86 to work again, but I think that's something I can handle.

Back