• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DeepCool gammax 400 air cooler... what the duck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Depends on the solder but solder is generally a bit better than the average TIM. Electronics solder will contain silver/silver alloys to aid in conduction but your basic plumbing lead solder is still okay for this purpose I think. I wouldnt make up a circuit board with it or anything, but filling in a couple gaps shouldn't have a huge detriment.

While it looks to me like the heat pipes are flush with the rest of the plate I definitely see some gaps around the pipes. I wonder if maybe the aluminum isnt attached to the copper poorly or there is air trapped between the aluminum and the copper (inside the plate). With as poorly as that thing is cooling there might even already be a hole in one of the heat pipes. I would try sending it back to the manufacturer before modding it. If you get another that works the same way then go for it :)

Solder will be fine on the base it's no more conductive then the copper. And besides most coolers(including this one) have solder attaching the pipes to the fins and or block. On this gammaxx the plate is a press fit and there are air gaps between the pipes. There is no benefit for it I believe it was the outcome from trying to save some money on the manufacturing. But it's all okay, I practically got the cooler for free so like I said as of now it's performance is **** lol. So even if somehow I make it worse it will be fun and might learn somthing:sn:

It's less. Much less. Unless you're using Silver solder or Indium.
I know you don't care, just stating the facts.

This is what I was thinking. I'm not concerned about electrical conductivity, I'm saying the addition of solder isn't going to help much because it isn't very thermally conductive. It's going to get hot and hold the heat there rather than transfer it to the pipes.

20160116_185238.jpg
first pass on a 200 grit stone knocked the aluminum down to the level of the heat pipes(note the dark lines in the silver, those are un even low spots)
20160116_190853.jpg

after the 300grit stone you can see the dark low spots in the aluminum fading away

- - - Updated - - -

20160116_191758.jpg
after 600grit stone almost flat with no lows

- - - Updated - - -

20160116_195821.jpg
after 3k grit stone and polish hot damn look at that reflection :clap:

- - - Updated - - -

i have no idea why the first pic is keeps popping up below the updated pics but what ever good contrast;)

Attachments

• 20160116_185238.jpg
    20160116_185238.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 365
20160116_213931.jpg 20160116_214112.jpg 20160116_214145.jpg
well ladys we have some numbers not to shabby( i dont know why the pictures are gooched up after uploading but the temps are 36c in bios 31c at base of cooler,27c mid way up the cooler)
fan set low

Also this is with no other case fans other then the pre installed intake fan at the front of the case so I'd say the Temps are great

Back