• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

defective 4th core??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

*cReed eRos*311

Registered
Hello All,

Good Day! Hope all is well.

need help regarding my CPU...i wonder if someone can help on this.

Here's what happened, i bought the Asus M5A88V-evo together with the Athlon II X3 455 3.3GHz. So i setup the machine as tricore, ran stability test with prime95 for 2-4hours, that time, 0 errors and 0 warnings (hope it stays that way though). ran HW monitor and core temp temperature was somewhere around 58-61C (full load) - with stock cooler then @ idle, 24-28C.

The problem started when i unlocked the 4th core (which is AMD Phenom II x4 B55 processor). When i loaded the desktop, ran stability test for 2-4 hours, looks great and no errors and warnings but what i have noticed was the "core speed and multiplier" don't change at all even in FULL LOAD (800MHz and "x4" respectively). so i checked my settings in the BIOS, went to "AI tweaker" checked CPU and NB Voltage which is currently @ "offset" @ 1.475 then went to "Power Tab" and look for HW configuration and noticed that "Vcore" is 1.116v ONLY. i tried to change it however, i gave me 2 options only "either IGNORED or the VALUE ITSELF which is 1.116v. so i updated the BIOS from the ASUS site (dated: 03/30/2012-Version 1202) went to the desktop and tried it again..same result...won't pass the 800MHz core speed @ full and the Vcore is still the same @ 1.12v. I tried disabling C n Q and Ce1 under "Advanced Tab" then CPU configuration and saved it. Went to the desktop again and still the Vcore hasn't changed but CPU voltage is still the same. What I'm confused about is that the core speed doesn't go more than 800MHz and stays that way. I am expecting it to spike at around 3300MHZ @ full @ sometime but nothing has change at all.

hope you guys can help me with and can give me a resolution on this. I don't have internet at home so the only way i can reply to this post is if I'm in the office which is where I'm currently @ right now. I can still recall all the troubleshooting steps that I've done so just keep those resolutions steps that you have in mind and i'll check if i've done it already.

Put that normally locked core back into locked mode and see if the cpu speeds back up as expected under load. If it does there is a problem with that core most likely and why it was disabled in the first place.

thanks for the quick response sir! appreciate it...

i got it back to tricore and ran prime95 for more than an hour. temps for core0, 1, and 2 were 58-61C FULL LOAD (using stock cooler)

core speed is @ 3315.95MHz (full load)
multiplier is 16.5 (full load)
Vcore: 1.45 - 1.46 (changes periodically)
CPU/NB Voltage is set to 1.475v (default value given by MOBO)

So when the CPU is working as a tri-core which is what it was sold as...it works fine? Then I think the situation is pretty clear now. That other core is bad if it will not allow the cpu to clock up under load. Heck all the other voltage settings and everything worked fine for 3 core but yet unlocking the disabled core causes crap acting. So you bought and have a tri-core it surely seems.

that what i presumed. just got unlucky with the unlocked core:eek: probably i'll stick to tricore then if that's the case since in the first place..that's what i bought from store...by the way, any recommendation for a cooler on this type of setup? many thanks sir!

Before we can recommend a cooler we need to know if your case has room to accept what we would recommend. What is the make and model of the case? If it's a no name case then please measure accross the top (outside measurement), i.e., how wide it is from side to side and let us know if it has a top mounted or bottom mounted PSU.

If your case is about and that is pretty darn close to 8 inches wide, then the CoolerMaster 212 EVO has been used considerably by many coming into this forum because it cools well at a good price. It will not handle a greatly overclocked FX-series processor though, but that tri-core and most 4 cores (not new FX type) will find it quite satisfactory. It is tall and dictates an 8 inch wide case so it is not hitting the side of case.

first of all, thanks for that very quick response sir! i believe i don't have a branded casing...just a generic one that came with shop together with the PSU..i upgraded my PSU to CM Extreme Power 500w...it fitted well to my system but i'm looking at Thermaltake V4 but when i checked the manual, max cooler that i can place is 160mm and i believe hyper 212 evo is around 159-160mm so not sure it's ok. also, not sure if my MOBO supports OC but for cooling purposes, that's the reason why i want to lower my temp. any cooler that is a bit small yet with good review and performance?

also, is it "safe" to lower down my CPU voltage and Vcore to 1.4v and 1.39 respectively? will it do any harm to my system because based on what were posted here, they tend to lower their voltage to have lower temp as well.

Last edited:
Have you flashed the BIOS to a later version?
That may solve the stuck-on-low-multi issue with 4th core.

yes! i did that already (Asus ver1202) is guess that the latest in the Asus site for this MOBO and that's what's showing in my BIOS as well. it's just an odd that when i relocked it to TRICORE, the CPU/NB Voltage and Vcore change hand in hand with each other (that's 1.475v and 1.464 respectively) BUT when i unlocked the 4th core, CPU/NB Voltage says 1.475v but under "Power Tab" in the BIOS says Vcore is 1.116v. just wondering if there's something wrong with my BIOS or it's the CPU itself but as per "RGone" could be a defective 4th core to will run it as tricore..just got disappointed though:bang head :)

i'm on a dilemma here between CM Hyper 212 EVO, CM Hyper 612 PWM and Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer CPU Cooler. As for CMs - i can just leave the side panel open or purchase a better/bigger casing and as for Sunbeam, it looks like it'll fit my generic case but the problem is I'm currently not in the US, we have it here locally but the price is around $60 unlike in the website that it's around $25:(:chair:

Thanks sir "trents" now i got heaps of options to pick what's the best. Regarding your question, not that i'm aware of. My company is located in Round Rock, TX but as of now, I'm in Manila, Philippines which is 100 miles away from the US..lol:D

Thanks for being a good sport! Couldn't help myself, lol!

Concerning the coolers, I was trying to find you one that would fit into your case without having to move down to the 92mm fan-based coolers which will be smaller and not as effective.

Back