• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

defective mobo? or ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boosteeddc

so i was building a friend a gaming rig from the following parts.
m5a97 motherboard(no integrated graphics), fx6100 and a gigabyte 6850 gpu. 4x2gb ram out of his old gateway fx series.
so i put everything together, system boots everything runs all fans spins, and nothing shows up on the monitor(guaranteed working monitor). if the motherboard was defected, would it still turn on?
with the ram, the dram-led is always red, i pushed it for awhile and it flashes red, then goes back to constant red. could it be bad rams(non-compatible), or anything else that might be causing this problem?
no beep from the mobo while booting also, i did plug in the hd audio from the case (CM storm trooper)

Ram from a box store computer like Gateway, HP and Dell often is proprietary and not compatible with other systems. These box store computer companies often use what's called "high density" ram because its cheaper to manufacture but it will not necessarily play with another system.

But check the basic things first, like make sure all the ram sticks are fully seated in the slots.

I would also try taking all but one stick of the ram out and try each stick in each slot to rule out the possibility that either a ram stick is bad or a motherboard slot is bad.

By the way, It would be better to go with two four gb modules than to go with four two gb ram modules. Less strain on the integrated memory controller.

Ram from a box store computer like Gateway, HP and Dell often is proprietary and not compatible with other systems. These box store computer companies often use what's called "high density" ram because its cheaper to manufacture but it will not necessarily play with another system.

so even tho its ddr-3 it still wont be compatible. so the dram_led light is suppose to be green if i had good ram in it, or does it turn off?

so even tho its ddr-3 it still wont be compatible.

No, not necessarily. If it's high density ram there is a 10% chance it will work in another computer. That may or may not be the problem but it often has been my experience when ram is taken from a box store computer.

so the dram_led light is suppose to be green if i had good ram in it, or does it turn off?

I have that same motherboard. The light is green continuously when the computer is running.

Did you try those trouble shooting measures I suggested earlier?

I would also try taking the motherboard out of the computer case and setting it up on a table top to check for the possibility of an electrical groundout between the underside of the motherboard and the motherboard tray. Many times people misplace the little brass offset studs and create a ground out short.

Did you try those trouble shooting measures I suggested earlier?

I would also try taking the motherboard out of the computer case and setting it up on a table top to check for the possibility of an electrical groundout between the underside of the motherboard and the motherboard tray. Many times people misplace the little brass offset studs and create a ground out short.

no i havent tried anything yet, we're gonna go buy some corsair vengeance 8gb later to replace the ram and see if that will fix it, then if not ill take out the mobo and breadboard it

The lesson in all this: If you ever buy ram on ebay, make sure it's not "high density" ram.

No, I realize you didn't buy it off ebay in this instance but my point is there are some enticing looking prices for ram on ebay but it's too good to be true if you ever are looking for it there.

No, I realize you didn't buy it off ebay in this instance but my point is there are some enticing looking prices for ram on ebay but it's too good to be true if you ever are looking for it there.

oh yea indeed, in my last couple builds for myself and friends, ive always went with corsair vengeance 8gb, this one also

Back