• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delid'd 7700K OC Newb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Allan74

First, I apologize for the brash jump straight into asking for help or suggestions. I literally haven't visited a forum in nearly a decade and am sure at one point I had an account here, but can't recall the username or even have access to the email account associated with it.
I was recently talked into giving up on my Supermicro based Dually 1366 Rig, that by this time, had gone through 4 CPU Upgrades over it's lifetime ending at Dual X5670's.
With that in mind, you can safely assume that I haven't overclocked a system for 24/7 use since my X58 days and have owned the Dually setup locked at stock clocks for longer than the lifespan of most people's pets.

Now that my lack of current knowledge is out of the way.....

I was essentially 'given' (for what amounted to be beer money) a 7700K setup.
Prior to relinquishing the setup in question, my buddy was also kind enough to delid the CPU after performing the same on his new 9900K.

Here is now where I am at:

7700K (Delid) @ 5.0Ghz, 1.35V, LLC-4
Noctua U12S, Dual Fans
MSI z270 Gaming M5
32GB Corsair Vengance LPX @ 2400Mhz (8x4GB)
OCZ 650w 80+ (old model, but a spare I pulled fresh off my parts shelf)
Reference (Gigabyte) Radeon 7970 (I recently flashed to Ghz status & added UEFI)

The CPU has rarely seen 70c during Handbrake transcoding, holding on average @ 66-68c after hours of 100% use, as I use an AVX -1 offset.

I guess my question is, are there any other settings that might have eluded me, in order to get more from this setup ?
The current settings that I am employing should be pretty clear above.

On current settings, I have attempted 5.1Ghz with an AVX offset of -2, but have found stability issues and prior to throwing more voltage at things (as this is for mainly desktop and transcoding use) I figured I would ask those that are familiar with this setup for their input.

Thanks in advance.
Allan

I think you'd better sit tight. No settings left that will give you another .1 ghz. Only more vcore and you are already at 1.35. Probably not enough voltage room to squeeze out any more and have it last for awhile, anyway. If you got 5 ghz truly stable out of a 7700k you did better than most.

Thanks.
As an aside, what voltage would you recommend for a 24/7 do-everything rig ?
From what I have been told, 1.35 is a bit on the high side and obviously the 5Ghz barrier isn't a 'mental block' that I am suffering from, as I happily run an AVX offset.
I guess at this point, my only 'mental' hangup is the Delid factor and I simply felt that I should make use of it....

Also, since it's perfectly stable @ 5Ghz 1.35V, is there any reason why I shouldn't consider turning SpeedStep back on ? (as I was told to kill dynamic features for stability).
It currently idles at roughly 30c without anything 'dynamic' affecting the 5Ghz clock.

Last edited:
You can try to push further...I wouldn't go much over 1.35v for 24/7. 1.4 at most.

As far as 'using'the delid... you are considering your temps at 5ghz.

It depends on what you are using the computer for. I have a i7-6700k and can run 24/7 @ 1.35v only at 4.9GHz with a 240mm AIO. I have de-lidded the processor and used LM as the TIM. I can hit 5.0GHz for short benching periods @ 1.475v with the AIO stuck out the window :) That i7-7700k at 5.0GHz with air cooling is the max unless you move up to a 240mm AIO. You may be able to go higher with a 360mm AIO or Custom Water Cooling.
If this computer is only for surfing and such then the 7700k is great. If this is being used for encoding and stuff, I believe your previous x58 12c/24t might have been better. We have some people here (Caddi Daddi) that run server hardware, that would be better at answering that question.

The CPU doesn't seem temp limited so improving the cooling may not produce any better overclock unless it would benefit the VRM if it is the limiting element.

On the Noctua U12S @ 5Ghz/1.35, it idles at roughly 26-30c and after about 6 hours of 1080p Handbrake encoding, I can see momentary peaks of only about 72c on a couple cores with a delta of about 4c bewteen the hottest and coolest core, holding steady at about 68c under full load for the most part. With this in mind, I feel safe about the system's ability to deal with heat.

EDIT...
I forgot to add, this is using an AVX offset of -1

If this computer is only for surfing and such then the 7700k is great. If this is being used for encoding and stuff, I believe your previous x58 12c/24t might have been better..
This is going to show my age in more ways than 1....
With the primary use of the PC being that of a 'Daily Driver' and for someone who was more than content to be out of the 'New Hardware Rat Race' for so long, I have been literally left to feel, with 1 single piece of hardware/technology, similar to that of (what I can only imagine) a Crack Addict's first hit of Da Pipe.....

M.2 PCIe x4

Over the last month, with a new current COLD Boot time into Windows that takes place in about 1/5 the time that my previous Dually took to even complete a POST, I am more than happy to sacrifice a couple of IPC's to save myself from the near horror like feelings of fear and despair that previously passed over me when Windows would ask me in 2018 "Would you like to Reboot Now" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the last month, with a new current COLD Boot time into Windows that takes place in about 1/5 the time that my previous Dually took to even complete a POST, I am more than happy to sacrifice a couple of IPC's to save myself from the near horror like feelings of fear and despair that previously passed over me when Windows would ask me in 2018 "Would you like to Reboot Now" ?

Say what?

Lol, something about a faster boot time...and he isnt afraid to reboot now....

....though I have no idea why IPC was mentioned.

Either I need to record my thoughts and talk slower, or perhaps stick-in-*** antisocial traits have a greater affect on reading than I ever could have imagined.

Fast HDD tech Good....Long Server/Workstation POST Time Bad......Handbrake on more threads/TOTAL clocks good.......less aggregate bad.....old instruction sets good.....new optimized instruction sets better.....Sacrifice worth stuff.

Explaining why I would ditch a more powerful setup in one regard, for another, as the added benefits out weigh the negative, shouldn't really be THAT difficult to understand......especially when it was a reply to someone trying to wrap their mind around what they thought to be a negative move for what I do with my PC.

If it's my prose and sentence structure and perhaps the picture painting description that I used being the problem, I apologize.

......though I have no idea why the concept of Instructions per Clock between platforms that are nearly a decade apart in age would even be a point of contention.

Nowhere in the forum rules did it say that I would be penalized for coming from a time BEFORE Participation Ribbons and the fact that I have touched boobs and am unable to express myself in low attention span promoting point form be further reason to publicly ostracize me. If so, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allan,

Let's chillax a bit with name calling and thinly veiled jabs to those reading as that isn't allowed here (THAT is listed in the rules, note). :)

So, if I understand this properly... in an older system due to an SSD, it boots faster than a newer system without? With ya there bud...! SSDs can breathe new life into older systems without a doubt! If fast boot and load times are what is needed, then that is a good upgrade to a dated system.

RE: IPC, its not a point of contention, we needed clarity of your point before anyone could contend it :p! That said, you are right... a 10 year old PC isn;t close to a modern one in IPC.

Let's turn it around and move forward with clear and concise posts instead of chiding those who had trouble gaining meaning over a part of one post. :)

Last edited:
Back