• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Horror

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eds2020

Hi,

I bought a Dell of the shelve, I know, what an idiot. As you can probably guess it is not very customizable at all. When I try to run nTune the machine crashes. I can run MSI Afterburner but can not adjust the core voltage and it seems that adjusting everything else doesn't improve anything and eventually makes the screen stutter or go blank. There are no BIOS settings for CPU speed or fans. I can adjust the graphics card fans with Afterburner though.
What would be the simplest way to be able to overclock the CPU and GPUs and adjust the fans. A new motherboard? Would that even help? If I did that would I even be able to overclock the GPUs easier?

The answer would have been not to get a Dell but its to late for that no. My end goal is the squeeze and much performance out when needed and make the machine as quiet as possible at all other times.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eds

I'd guess a new motherboard, but it may or may not fit into your case. The power supply is likely underpowered for over clocking of anything. The case likely is using proprietary connectors for the power and such as well.

Long story short: shouldn't have bought a Dell if you wanted customization.

I have yet to see a Dell case with good airflow. As Janus67 said:

"Long story short: shouldn't have bought a Dell if you wanted customization."

The business grade Dells are pretty good with airflow and the rackmounts excellent, but they aren't exactly the cheapest either.

You likely have a bad overclocking video card or you ar epushing ti too far if it crashes like that and your screen goes blank.

What are the system specs?

What model Dell?

Also some of the cards that Dell sells with their systems are cut down from normal cards

My experience with various Dells has been to upgrade hard drives and to add a non-OC'd video card. But otherwise left everything alone. They are designed to work as sold, and will provide years of steady service.

But for getting into the overclocking hobby, you do your homework, select your components, perhaps wait for sales, buy the pieces and put them together yourself. You learn more, and have more fun this way. Also, since you did your homework and understand your system because you put it together, you can isolate problem ares and ask for help in a targeted way. Much more satisfying.

Bottom line -- use pre-built computers at stock.

Buying a Dell off the shelf is not idiocy. It simply means you will use it within significant constraints. But within those constraints it should serve well.

Don't you have a certain amount of time with Dell to say you aren't satisfied and send it back?

I bought a monitor from them a few years ago and I just plain wasn't happy with it and they took it back.

Dell desktop is not made for any oc. It meant to use as is. I bought my last desktop from them 4yrs ago i7 920 and I still got it as a 2nd pc. Back then, I said, I will build my own next time. And I did, it a 3930K oc 4.8Ghz. I will never buy another factory built desktop again. Build it by all mean.

Take it back say its broken ....build one...

I don't agree with doing that. If the place has a return policy then return it, but I don't believe in lying that something is broken because you have buyers remorse.

If its a Dell, it was BUILT broken from the get-go.

Not helpful I know, but there's not enough words in existence to describe just how much a Dell sux.

I must disagree. Dells work. And work. And work.

I pulled most of my Dells out of service because they were obsolete, not because they didn't work. But you can't OC them.

I pulled most of my Dells out of service because they were obsolete, not because they didn't work. But you can't OC them.

But they're made of of cheap. And cheap. And cheap parts. Power supplies and motherboards are highly unimpressive low-cost designs.

Most PCs work and work and work. I have my old PC - WinXP, AMD Athlon 64 3800+, Radeon X850 Platinum, MSI K8N Pro, 2GB Corsair ram, 75GB OS HDD & 500GB data/programs HDD (which I removed recently). I'm thinking of Suse Linux + Samba getting some drives and setting it up as NAS/file-server...

I'd guess a new motherboard, but it may or may not fit into your case. The power supply is likely underpowered for over clocking of anything. The case likely is using proprietary connectors for the power and such as well.

Long story short: shouldn't have bought a Dell if you wanted customization.

I agree with him sorry bro

Back