• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delta T, 55nm GTX260s, and me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

So I have this water loop. It was originally designed to be able to handle my CPU (QX9650) and my graphics card (GTX260-192). Loop is a Zalman Reserator 1 Plus, MCR320 rad w/D12SL fans, D-Tek FuZion w/quad insert, MCP355 w/XSPC top, and Koolance inline flow meter. The coatings on the Reserator are all intact and I do use corrosion inhibitors, never seen a problem but I'd like to thank everyone for their concern in advance. :chair:

Thing is, if you notice above, I never got around to putting a block on the graphics card. In the meantime, that GTX260-192 blew up not once, but twice thanks to random video fan stoppages. I eventually got a GTX260-216 55nm as a warranty replacement and that one's served me well. I eventually wound up with a second GTX260-216 to match and I run them in SLi. I do not like the temps. The top card idles at 55C in a 27C ambient room.

I would like to complete the loop, but the thing that always stopped me was that nobody made a full coverage block for the 55nm GTX260, and then I lost my job. I'm looking at "completing" the loop as originally intended since I'm due for a teardown anyway. In order to use the current setup and watercool both cards, the calculated heat load is around 500 watts worst case. With that rad and my current fans, Delta T is in the 15-20 deg C range. That seems ... high. Better fans will get me to the 10-15 deg C range, but doesn't solve the water block problem. The "easy" solution is get a new spanky video card with a known-compatible block, but beating the performance of a pair of 260s isn't terribly cheap and I'm short on cash.

OK, so yea, that was a slight wall of text. Apologies.

TL;DR - Would you guys consider a dT of 15 deg C acceptable for that hardware?

Is there a full coverage block that works on the 55nm GTX260-216 cards or am I SOL on that count entirely, thus making this whole mental exercise of mine entirely pointless? EK lists the GTX275 block as compatible, but I've seen other sources say nothing works with my cards.

DT of 15C is pretty high, dunno what the CPU would do with that. You could try it I guess.

I don't know about the GPU block compatability. There is discussion on it over at XS, Gabe is working on one and Some EU company might have one. Xtreme Systems, first/second page you'll find the thread.

Honestly i do not think cooling those cards is worth it... you could sell the cards for about 100 apiece (will research prices) and the 200 you would save on new blocks will net you 400$ total and i am assuming your running on a 1920X1080/1200 screen you could get a 570 + Block for ~450 or a 6950 + Block for ~320ish

EDIT: also check out this site to see if they have a block (if you dont want to upgrade) that will fit your card Since you did not give a brand i can not say if they do or not...

http://coolingconfigurator.com

Coolingconfigurator is EK, isn't it? That one shows the GTX275 block as being a fit. None of the US providers of EK stuff has it listed in their store that I saw though. Might be NLA.

You're probably right from a cost standpoint, though I question your numbers.

Conumdrum - Geez, it's forever since I darkened the doorstep at XS. Familiar names though, I see NaeKuh is still there (and still can't spell). I don't see the thread you referenced, do you remember the thread title or who started it by any chance? I kinda doubt anyone is developing anything for GPUs that aren't available anymore, maybe you were thinking of the 560ti thread?

Last edited:
Lemme post the link, it is prolly on the second page.

Ack can't find it. You should ask at Swiftech, take the effort, send an email. Not that hard to do................. Last I remeber it's close to release. Not a FC block, you need a MCW80 for it.

You get what you pay for..........

well i got my prices from the GTX 285 FC Blocks which are 100$

also with the coolingconfig if it says physical in the Compatibility section that normally means EK has slapped a block on the card to make sure it fits or users ave emailed and confirmed it fit perfectly. Like i said though idk what brand yours is so i am going off the EVGA one.

Back