• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desktop graphics performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkgonra

Will I very weak video card effect normal desktop performance ?
Snap speed and things like that?

I have a few systems at work that have 1-1.4 amd athlon and duron processors . They seem very slow just hitting the start button. They all have 8mb tnt cards in them. Could that be the problem ?

If so , any recommendations of a decent card for regular business use ?

hkgonra said:
Will I very weak video card effect normal desktop performance ?
Snap speed and things like that?

I have a few systems at work that have 1-1.4 amd athlon and duron processors . They seem very slow just hitting the start button. They all have 8mb tnt cards in them. Could that be the problem ?

If so , any recommendations of a decent card for regular business use ?

Probably something with atleast 32mb of ram. Like GeForce2s or something similar.

I have seen some really nasty graphics cards using XP just fine - normally I see various problems arise from lack of memory, or heavily fragmented (or just generally full to the brim) harddrive

ninthebin said:
I have seen some really nasty graphics cards using XP just fine - normally I see various problems arise from lack of memory, or heavily fragmented (or just generally full to the brim) harddrive

All have 256mb of memory at least a 1ghz processor , and all have been formatted and windows loaded fresh within the last 2 weeks.

OK, I switched the desktop and start menu to classic and it made a world of difference . Does that make everyone think it is the graphics card or not ?

The standard XP menu took a second for me to load to, but Its reversed for me.. skinned with a hacked UxTheme the startmenu opens up ultra fast since I got my video card.

On xp ?!

With a 233 ?!

I thought you needed at least 700mhz to even consider running xp ?

hkgonra said:
On xp ?!

With a 233 ?!

I ran it just fine on a P2 300Mhz with 128mb ram.

Anyways, i dont think a video card will do anything. Nothing is being stored in you video card memory...all that information is being stored in your system memory, so that would be the culperate...not the video card

Well its not like the OS is the only thing in the ram. There are tons of other things usually in the ram. And SDRam is painfully slow, which might also cause it

hkgonra said:
On xp ?!

With a 233 ?!

Nah, works fine. A bit slow at times, but still fine. The 224mb RAM helps things.

I got a radeon 7500 64mb card , popped it in and it made a HUGE difference. The snap speed was back to normal , windows were opening faster and everything. Just thought I would pass that along.

Back