• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desperate need of an upgrade.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viol8ted

I'm currently running an old LGA775 and a E8400 overclocked to 4.2 ghz. ITS TIME TO MOVE ON! I've already purchased a new case, power supply and a h100i cooler. My delima is now that Z97 is out, do I pull the trigger and grab that chipset or Z87? My intentions were to get a Z87 and pair it with a 4770k, but after reading about them Im iffy. So do I set on my hands and wait for Devils Canyon? Or go ahead and get a z87 chipset board??? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would have used that corsair in Sig...

Z97. You can drop in broadwell in 2015 if you choose. Devils canyon is rumored to be out on 6/2.. see what happens then.

Hey thanks for the reply. Yes the psu in my sig has been solid. This computer is going to stay together though as its being passed down to my son. I thought Devil's Canyon wasn't due out until September?? I went with a corsair RM850 for the new build.

I've noticed that Z97 boards are sometimes even cheaper than Z87. Generally Z97 should replace everything Z87 on the market but some stores that already have older Z87 boards on stock may keep prices high just not to lose money ( they will lose it anyway just in some time ).

Btw Corsair RM850 is nice PSU. I was testing one some time ago. Should be good for long years.

If DC will be delayed then you can always grab i3 or Pentium and replace it in couple of months. These cheaper CPUs are not losing so much on value so you will be able to sell them in still good price. 3GHz Haswell based Pentium will be probably faster than E8400 4.2GHz anyway.

The RM850 seemed to be decent and priced at 139.99 on Amazon I bit. Once I got it, I checked to make sure it was not on the recall list. Woomack you maybe on to something there. If DC doesn't come out then pick up a $130.00 i3 to get me by until September. Good idea thanks!

This is a little off topic, but I noticed you went with the Corsair h100i cooler. I wouldn't recommend it myself. I just switched mine out for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus and I wouldn't go back. My load temps are 15 degrees celsius below what they were with the noctua fans at 100% with the corsair on my i5 2700k at 4.3. Maybe I got a bum unit but I wasn't very impressed.

6/25 for DC
Per order available on new egg for $ 340

Think H100 is solid
Bad mount or defective pump I would guess

Back