• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

making a trade and cant find the difference between 2 PSUs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thatbonokid

I am trading my MSI z97-g45 gaming for a lesser motherboard and a real PSU. Im going to get a new motherboard in the future unless I like the way the one im getting runs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130771

Im getting in return a ASUS z87-C
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z87C/

and this power supply that came in a case originally but is new, wasnt used. (here is what was said in the email)

"Seasonic M12II-650 BRONZE ATX 650 power supply (SS-650AM) that was purchased from Microcenter in a MSI Blitz computer case (IN565-A650) and never used (I used the case for a non-gaming build for a friend):

http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-M12II-650-BRONZE-Power-Supply/dp/B00607JMI8

http://us.msi.com/product/case/blitz.html#hero-overview"

Im wondering if the power supply will come in a box, and qualities it has. (Ive always wanted a reliable seasonic PSU, I hear theyre the best. I plan on upgrading my motherboard in the future, the z97 and I just didnt mesh well when I first got it and this asus board seems legit. All I play is counter strike.

Can you tell me about the power supply? Is it modular and is this an even trade? thank you ahead of time for your input.

I just dont feel comfortable running my PC, especially my new coming one on an 80+ 39$ EVGA power supply and this one seems legit.

any input would be amazing.

Running a 4690k, 4 gb gtx 960 for the time being ,8 gigs ballistix 1866, evo 840 120 gig and wd black 500.

Last edited:
How would we know if the PSU comes in a box? Ask the seller.

Seasonic is one of the best, sure. As far as its qualities and tell you about the PSU, look up some reviews on the unit (will also tell you if it is modular). I do know those Seasonics are OLD though. They came out in like 2010 IIRC. That isn't to say it won't work just fine, but, it is a bit older of a PSU.

Which EXACT EVGA PSU do you have? You don't mention wattage... that is important... THE most important really. 80+ doesn't make a difference... its efficiency, not quality. A quality 550W PSU wil EASILY power the rig you plan on attaching to it along with overclocking. Hell, it would be fine with a 980Ti and overclock it and the CPU...

well its an evga 80+ non bronze, was on sale for like 29.99 3 years ago. I cant find much on the seasonic, it was replaced by a fully modular 620 wat. PSU is the most important part, and I cant seem to get this i5 to overclock at all. Im a noob, If anyone would wanna help me get it to 4.4, tell me exactly what to change, id love doing that.

this is the PSU.. it is a little tank, i ran a 390.. but its 3 years old with 24 7 use. seasonic sounds so pretty to me. I wish someone knew something about it. im helpless. hahaha

So youre gonna trade a higher quality motherboard and a likely much newer (and decent most likely) EVGA psu for a lower quality mother board and a significantly older psu?

You seem to make up your own mind on your own threads asking for advice. Anything we say here will be purely speculation. That particular m12 is OLD. Does it work? Probably. How long? Who knows. A used motherboard is always iffy from an unknown source. Theres no way we can tell you "its ok". This is COMPLETELY on you, and you're able to do your own research.

Spec wise, your msi is much more powerful. Its 8 phase power section and stouter VRM means its probably more reliable.

You keep avoiding this question entirely. It REALLY needs to be answered properly. Why are you trying to get rid of your MSI? This "trade" makes absolutely no sense.

im helpless.
That you are. :-/

I gave you a link to a review of that SS PSU...what more do you need to know? I can't read it for you!

I cant seem to get this i5 to overclock at all. Im a noob, If anyone would wanna help me get it to 4.4, tell me exactly what to change, id love doing that.
That is for another thread in the appropriate section.

As far as the EVGA PSU, perhaps take a picture of the label like NZK mentioned so we can see what it is.

Let's put it this way: a $40 EVGA PSU can very well be a 500B, which is one of the most solid in the 500w range. Or, you may have one of the lower quality ones. Either way, there are few EVGA units that aren't a good buy at any price point and wattage.

On the other hand, you've heard everything we can tell you about that Seasonic PSU.

So, if I were you, I would figure out what PSU you actually have. Provided it's a good one (which is very likely), and it has a high enough rated wattage (which you still haven't disclosed), I would cancel that trade, and sit on your hands.

well its an evga 80+ non bronze, was on sale for like 29.99 3 years ago. I cant find much on the seasonic, it was replaced by a fully modular 620 wat. PSU is the most important part, and I cant seem to get this i5 to overclock at all. Im a noob, If anyone would wanna help me get it to 4.4, tell me exactly what to change, id love doing that.

this is the PSU.. it is a little tank, i ran a 390.. but its 3 years old with 24 7 use. seasonic sounds so pretty to me. I wish someone knew something about it. im helpless. hahaha

- - - Updated - - -

i meant to post that last night, crap. I guess it didnt post.

You still didn't clear anything up on the psu...

You say this is the psu, but there isn't a link or a pic...

Back