• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Detectives Needed: It seems I have a bottleneck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks, reason I asked is because if the Oc wasn't stable it could cause issues. If you passes 10 hours prime blend it's likely not your issue.

How old is that Corsair Cx Psu? They are known to have caps fail over time, maybe you're not getting clean power, if it's getting long in the tooth.

A single stress test isn't universally conclusive, but it is strange he can do 10 hours of p95 with no issues though.

A single stress test isn't universally conclusive, but it is strange he can do 10 hours of p95 with no issues though.
True and I forgot that it was tested 10 hours with Prime, which would have likely failed if the Psu was going south. My youngtimers kicks in somethings when trying to help too many people. :D

Well, what if he ran P95 blend for 2 hours and post the results here? Just to make sure. If it passes then it's most probably a software issue, since any hardware related issue would cause instability.

Well, what if he ran P95 blend for 2 hours and post the results here? Just to make sure. If it passes then it's most probably a software issue, since any hardware related issue would cause instability.

Here's the link to the thread where I was shown, told how etc mate - Overclocking A8 6600k – Need hand holding!

I'm interested in finding out why my rig under performs in comparison my friends rig. I had another friend help me out (who's in data analysis), he put in my 3dMark results as well as Nathan's (the compared rig) results and a selection of other higher results into some lovely graphs.

What's odd is that my friends rig has the A10 CPU but a slower GPU and he gets better results in both Arma II and DayZ but here's where it gets interesting; he scores a fair bit worse in 3DMark. Feel free to look at the data if you like: https://public.tableau.com/profile/js.adam#!/vizhome/3DMarkScores/GPUClocksxScore

The linked spread shows the biggest correlation. Nothing out of the ordinary there right? Exactly. Except for that fact that my rig performs better in seemingly more complex scenes but not when running Arma III or DayZ. He thinks it might be something do with the 'draw call' process that the CPU apparently handles? I have no idea about this but he explained the CPU basically tells the GPU what to draw?

Maybe, the additional load from of a CPU intensive game is stepping on this otherwise unbridled process which in turn is bottlenecking the GPU. Effectively making the GPU have to wait longer before it knows what to draw?

Grab the newest 3DMark, see how FireStrike runs.
Post a screenshot of the results window.

Seems normal to me. Did it run pretty smooth?

I know it'll be frame-y, but was it hitching or anything?

Ran better than last time for sure at least on the demo. No issues other than severe frame rate drops with the combined test which is to be expected.

You mention your friend has an "R970 GPU".
Did you mean R9 270, R9 270X, GTX 970, or something else?

Just trying out the betas now.

The RAM well I really don't know what it is as the model only brings up Russian stuff. Have a look.

R538G1601U2S-UGO

I've never touched timings; I don't have the first idea about them.

Looks like the correct speed and timings to me.
I'd almost wager a bet that is your problem.

You said you tried CPUz and it wouldn't read your system?

Looks like the correct speed and timings to me.
I'd almost wager a bet that is your problem.

You said you tried CPUz and it wouldn't read your system?

You've lost me; you'd wager a bet that the correct timings of RAM are my problem? I can't use CPUz no, I've that many similar applications on my system I really don't need another. HWiNFO / AMD Overdrive / MSI Afterburner seems good enough?

You've lost me; you'd wager a bet that the correct timings of RAM are my problem? I can't use CPUz no, I've that many similar applications on my system I really don't need another. HWiNFO / AMD Overdrive / MSI Afterburner seems good enough?

Yes, because those timings are very high for that speed.

I'm trying to check if your memory is actually running in dual-channel or not.
I know where to see this information in CPUz, but I'm not sure where to see it otherwise.

If you don't want to install it, just run the portable version instead.

Yes, because those timings are very high for that speed.

I'm trying to check if your memory is actually running in dual-channel or not.
I know where to see this information in CPUz, but I'm not sure where to see it otherwise.

If you don't want to install it, just run the portable version instead.

*shrugs* these timings are the default so... I dunno!

But yeah, it's just the one stick of ram. A few people were initially like "oh my goawwdd" about this earlier in the thread but it's just how it was bought.

Turns out CPU Z works just fine, must have been thinking of something else.

*shrugs* these timings are the default so... I dunno!

But yeah, it's just the one stick of ram. A few people were initially like "oh my goawwdd" about this earlier in the thread but it's just how it was bought.

Turns out CPU Z works just fine, must have been thinking of something else.

One stick of RAM... get a set of two.
There's your problem.

One stick of RAM... get a set of two.
There's your problem.

I bought a basic system to build upon and that's how it came. You genuinely think that having dual channel RAM will sort my issue? I will have to look into why specifically as I don't really understand. Appreciate the help though.

Back