• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dial-up 28k Issue Please Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spin1337

Registered
Hey Sorry for this post, but i searched internet and cant find much on my issue, ok i currently use netzero and am trying to figureout how to connect faster than 28k i got a 56k modem but i cannot seem to connect that fast no more, If anyone has some tips or questions pleaset let me know, cause i play everquest and it sitll runs on 28k but i still get frequient lagg spikes, id greatlly appriciate it if anyone could help me out with this.

thankx

:bang head hrm...where to begin?

ok, did you have it running at 56k before? is this a new development that it is suddenly only connecting at 28? if you've never connected at 56k, are you SURE its a 56k modem?

if you've never had 56k before, and you're sure it's a 56k modem, your phone lines are probably old. or maybe you aren't subscribed to netzero as a 56k user (i dont use netzero, so i dont know how they run things -- besides, you should get cable). anyway, if your lines are old you need to upgrade them...which i believe the FCC will do for you (not sure on all the details).

my money is on you having old lines, but i'm not "1337" like yourself, so i cant be sure.

Yeah, I have 56k that connects at 28.8k. My problem is old lines. The house is 60 years old so I under stand that. However any newer house should have good lines.

could be the connection number also .. do they only provide one.. i remeber way way back when i had aol ( booooo !! ) and they gave options to connect to a certain number.. some were limited.. maybe try unistalling your modem and netzero and re-installing... kinda of a fool proof simple way.. and do not expect 56k speeds on those modems all the time.. just because it says 56k doesnt mean it will always do it .. granted you may have done it before but maybe it was low traffic time ..

Back