• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did i damage anything ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Levioch

Hey guys

I'm running a 8700k @stock + MSI z370 gaming pro carbon ac + corsair vengeance LPX 2X8 3000mhz CAS15

First of all i tried running XMP which lead me to OC failed....

So i used the MSI feature memory try it which give me 2666mhz cas 13 15 15 @1.35V every other voltage in auto mode. I could use my pc and gaming with these settings for 2-3 weeks maximum before starting having BSOD i tried change timings to 16-18-18-35 @1.2 no boot, 1.25 unstable 1.3 unstable and 1.35 no boot :O.

Basically i'm using my ram at 2400mhz cas 14 and it runs fine (memtest confirm) but it's not what I want .....

My question is did i damage my cpu's IMC by using this ram profil ? (2666mhz cas 13) cause it seems that is very tight timings and it could have overstressed the imc .....

Or is this motherboard ? cause if I try using one stick at a time on slot 2 i can reach 3.000mhz on both stick but if I put those 2 stick still one at a time on slot 4 it does boot but it's not possible to reach 3.000mhz with xmp enabled while it was possible on slot 2. I'm using the latest bios available.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

I don't think you damaged anything using Cl13 at 2666 your voltage was still very reasonable. It almost sounds to me like you have a bad memory channel. I would contact MSI or your retailer about a replacement.

I heard on msi's board that when you oc your ram, the vccsa and vccio voltages are very high ~1.4. Maybe this is what happened on mine and degrade my imc in few weeks ... what do you think ?

try running a single stick in the second slot(b1). test to see if xmp will enable and run proper timings. if it does, test the first slot with the single stick and see if it will run at xmp speeds/timings. if not your first slot is borked. which is what Johan meant. if your a1 slot is bad youll need to rma your board to get it fixed.

Im running my ram on slot 2 and 4 and indeed slot 2 it does work with xmp but on slot 4 it does boot but not with xmp which lead to an oc failed

Guys on slot 1 and 2 (a1 a2) single stick i can reach 3000mhz

But on b1 b2 cant go above 2400mhz. Could it be a bent pins problems ?

Yes i will check later. But if it was cpu it would not work on every slot no ?

its VERY unlikely that your cpu is damaged. it is MUCH more likely that your mb has a bad memory slot. get ahold of msi customer support for your region and they will have you run a series of tests to find out whats wrong with your rig.

if they do find that your mb is bad they may have a cross ship option. where they charge your cc and send you a new mb. once they recieve your mb they reimburse your cc. that way you wont be without your mb.

Ok i ll check it out.

The fact is my ram xmp on is working on a1 a2 but not on b1 b2 just made me think it was not a cpu problem but a mobo one.

I ll send it back to the retailer.

Back