• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I pick the wrong RAM for my new Haswell build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TurboJ

Registered
I ordered a 4770k CPU with an Asus Gryphon Z87 mobo, and a 16GB kit of Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz CL9 RAM.

Since I made the order, I have been reading about how Haswell likes RAM as fast a possible and also noticed that contrary to popular belief, even some games actually benefit from faster RAM (CPU intensive games mostly).

At this moment I am still able to alter my order, but I need to act quickly.

Would I be better of with 2400 MHz CL11 ?
Or perhaps 2133 CL10 ?

The prices for those are very close to the 1600 CL9 kit I originally ordered.
The lower latency 2133 and 2400 kits (CL9) cost considerably more though.

Please let me know what I should do. I would not mind paying an extra 25$ to get the best possible performance, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want to pay for nothing, and not delay my order for no reason.

From what I have heard, haswell does NOT benefit (as much as sandy) to high ram speeds. Instead, i've seen it recommended to get faster timings.

I personally have 1866 cl 9, and it is faster then I would ever need...but I don't have experience with faster, however in my opinion I doubt you would notice a difference.

EDIT: BTW, I originally had 1600 CL 10, and I did notice a slight difference after upgrading. The only way I can explain it is things were more instantaneous than before.

Thanks.

I already changed my order because I was able to get a little more 'future proofing' by paying just 15€ extra.

Gskill Ripjaws Z 2133 CL9 4x4GB is the kit I will be getting now.

I just hope the 1.65V voltage is OK for Haswell. Asus seems to think so, since their mother board does list support for this particular RAM kit. This choice should also allow me to run quad-channel in the future if I upgrade my mobo/CPU in the future.

I am getting very mixed recommendations about running 1.65 RAM voltage with a Haswell chip. Will I be safe or will it be a risk?

Oh, and if I try to keep it even safer by running these sticks with less voltage, how hard would it be to find a working voltage/frequency/timing combination?

I would get 2x8GB instead of 4x4GB if you need 16GB ... but RipjawsZ 4x4GB 2133 CL9 are actually great kit.

My kit can make something like this but hard to call it stable:
2800c10.jpg

Stable 2400 9-11-11 ~1.68V , 2600 10-12-12 ~1.7V.
Sticks manufactured in last month base on Samsung HCK0 if anyone is interested. Designed for commercial use and normal voltage ( read up to 85*C and 1.5V+ ). Absolute maximum voltage of 1.975V for these chips means you are safe with 1.65V ;) ( the same max is for most new IC right now ).

For 24/7 work and games you can actually go with some cheaper 1866/2133 kit and you won't see bigger difference.

Last edited:
Back