• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I see this in a dream?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aldakoopa

KING OF PROCRASTINATION Member
I could have sworn I saw this heatsink the other day on Newegg, but I can't find anything like it now anywhere. I'm pretty sure it was a CPU heatsink, it had heatpipes going up from the CPU to a large radiator that looked like it would mount to the top of a case and it had holes for 2 120mm or 140mm fans (not sure which). It looked very interesting and like it might work well.

Now, since I can't find anything that looks like it anywhere, I'm questioning whether or not it was real, or am I crazy?

Sounds like a mad mans dream to me lol. What do you mean by two holes for 120mm or 140mm fans? Like fan shrouds or what? Where the heat pipes plastic tubing? I'm just trying to picture this in my head and honestly I can't.

I mean it had holes for screws to mount two fans to it, like you would to the top of a computer case that has two fans on top. It was copper heatpipes going all the way up from the CPU heatsink up to a radiator with plenty of fins. There were also some fins, but not nearly as many, directly over the CPU.

Well... still sounds like an interesting idea for a cpu cooler, unless the heatpipes would be too long.

Still seems funny, because I can remember it clear as day. I was looking at CPU heatsinks on Newegg, I actually did save a couple to my wishlist, and I saw that one and didn't want it, but I thought it was a pretty cool idea. So, I went looking for it again out of curiosity and now I can't find anything like it on any site I've ever searched on!

The ones that look like that are the original Gemini or the Orochi.

That is more similar but still not it. I'm trying to draw up some crude images in paint as we speak.

Regardless it's going to suck. I say that nicely. Long heatpipes are fail in practice. The Susanoo, despite being the size of a small species of whale, underperforms better made smaller heatsinks where the heatpipe travel is shorter. The longer the heatpipe, before it actually contacts fins, the worse the perf. That Giant "Knock a robber out" Susanoo can't cool as well as, say, a much smaller TR Silver Arrow or an NHD14. I've seen the numbers. Kind of a silly product. The only thing that is similar to what you describe and works well is the Corsair H100 but it's a liquid system.

Here's my badly drawn images:

radbottom.jpg

View from the bottom of the radiator. Grey area is the fins/heatpipes, all surrounded in a white box that has holes to mount two fans to.

radfront.jpg

Grey area is fins/heatpipes on top of the CPU, heatpipes rise up to radiator inside of white box.

radside.jpg

Grey area is fins/heatpipes on CPU, heatpipes bend to meet the fan mounts for the top of the case.

Regardless it's going to suck. I say that nicely. Long heatpipes are fail in practice. The Susanoo, despite being the size of a small species of whale, underperforms better made smaller heatsinks where the heatpipe travel is shorter. The longer the heatpipe, before it actually contacts fins, the worse the perf. That Giant "Knock a robber out" Susanoo can't cool as well as, say, a much smaller TR Silver Arrow or an NHD14. I've seen the numbers. Kind of a silly product. The only thing that is similar to what you describe and works well is the Corsair H100 but it's a liquid system.

That's what I was thinking. It seemed like the heat would have a long way to travel up the heatpipes before it actually got cooled. I always thought the closer to the CPU the better in terms of cooling.

Maybe it was an IFX?

ifx-14-2.jpg

Nope. It didn't come straight out above the CPU, it was like the picture I drew. It had bright copper heatpipes and either copper or aluminum fins, and the radiator part at the top was enclosed in a white box where the fans could mount to.

Folks, do you know what a heatpipe does? Same as a waterblock. The engineering for a CPU block with 4 exact heatpipes for the exact case in horizontal and vertical for EACH case.

Secondly, will it increase effiency over the standard air bock? I KNOW it can't beat water flowing right over the die of the CPU..

Nice dream, hoep the next is the magic, you got a winner your a billionaire, sell me 5.

Not this time though.

Back