• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did my Motherboard get fried?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jokerman170

Hey guys, I built a friend a budget gaming rig and the MB possibly got fried.

The build:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($17.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33 V2 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($130.74 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($50.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270 2GB Dual-X Video Card ($136.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $401.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-01 09:22 EST-0500

I've installed everything, went without a hitch, then installed Win 7. Installed drivers and updated bios to the latest 10.5 through MSI's Live Update 6.
I've also downloaded "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" from the MSI updater.
Everything worked, the bios updated itself, everything was fine.

Then I entered bios to set the memory speed to 1600mhz, since it was running on 1333mhz, but there was no 1600 mhz (even though the MB supports that speed) only 800mhz, 1333mhz and 1400mhz, I selected 1400 thinking maybe it,s 1600 but it isn't showing right or something

it, booted back to windows, but the speed didn't change, so I then I used the tuning utility to set it to 1600mhz, it rebooted to a screen saying something the lines of:

Changes failed
  • press F1 to enter bios
  • press f2 to revert to previous settings and enter bios

I pressed f2 and then f10 in bios,the pc restarted and booted into windows again still with 1333mhz clock speed.
I then set manually the memory clock to 16x 10mhz and auto to everything else (didn't change voltage)

After this the PC restarted and started/stopped in 5 second intervals without posting. After a minute or so I just hold down the power button and stopped it.
After this point it just failed to post, it hung there with no picture on screen and fans running and the r9's fans just started/stopped in 0.1second intervals.

I took the R9 out, swapped rams, swapped ssd with my own and new sata and power plug from the PS, nothing made a difference.
Took the CMOS battery out overnight to reset the bios, but to no result.

Right now I'm writing this post with the parts from the PC in question (ssd, gpu, rams that are running at 1600mhz) without any problems to them, I can't test the CPU since my pc is am3+

Any suggestions?

As last resort, what other MB should I opt for after I return this MB to the vendor? Something in this price range

Thanks for reading! Sorry if my train of thoughts is hard to follow, English is my 3rd language

Need to test the Cpu, but I'd say call MSI for RMA for starters. Gotta have cpu or board for testing, one or the other.

Back