• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did my research... Tell me I'm not Crazy!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

willardcw4

Registered
After reading countless forum posts, articles, etc., I have components lined up for my FIRST liquid cooling build. I appreciate ANY and ALL feedback, as I'm trying to be as explicit as possible with my components and methodology.

COMPUTER COMPONENTS:
First I'll list the computer components I am using for this Haswell build (components with a '*' indicate I have already purchased them):

Case: NZXT Phantom 630*
Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Z87 Hero
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1866MHz (9-10-9 27)*
CPU: Intel 4770K 3.5GHz LGA 1150
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB*
PSU: Corsair AX850*
GPU: Nvidia 770 GTX (most likely ASUS Poseidon, or EVGA Classified HydroCopper if released for the 770)

PROPOSED LIQUID COOLING COMPONENTS:
I'll go into more detail as to why I chose these components later on, but want to list them up front so everyone can get a good feel:

Res: XSPC Nylon Dual Bay Res
Pump: XSPC D5 Vario*** It's actually the Res/Pump combo
Rad: XSPC EX360
Fans: 6 x GT AP-15s (push/pull on the rad)
CPU Block: XSPC Raystorm Intel
GPU Block: Hoping for factory installed block (see above)
Tubing: XSPC FLX Red UV Tubing 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD
Compression Fittings: XSPC G1/4 to 1/2"ID, 3/4"OD (using compression fittings for all of my connections)
Kill Coil: Silver KillCoil
Biocide: PT Nuke (a couple drops WITH the kill coil - it takes a few days for the kill coil to get it's ions rolling)
Quick Disconnects: 2 x Koolance QD4 Male, 2 x Koolance QD4 Female
Splitter: Bitspower Y-Block (optional, more on this later)
TIM: Prolimatech PK-1
LEDs: 2 x Twin 5mm LED Wire (Red), 3 x Twin 5mm LED Wire (UV)
Fluid: Distilled Water

SETUP / MATH:
I plan to liquid cool my CPU and GPU with this build. In addition, I will be mounting a 360mm radiator above my motherboard in the top of my case. I used the following numbers (on the conservative side, using data I found on various websites or forum posts) to calculate my DT for these components:

CPU - 120W Peak
GPU - 380W Peak
Total = 500W of heat I need to dissipate

Using the info for a XSPC RX360V2 from Skinnee (HERE), I calculated a DT of 8.45C with my pump at 1.5 GPM, fans @ 1800 RPM, 500W heat dissipation, and 3 fans in pull.

Extrapolating from Martins review of the XSPC EX360 (HERE), I was able to approximate the performance of the EX360 vs the RX360V2 for the given setup. End result is the EX360 is ~10% less efficient than the RX360V2 for said fan RPM (Martin's data is 3 fans in Push, so the difference in efficiency may actually be higher since Skinnee's data is 3 fans in pull).

Thus, I have a DT of 9.3C for 1.5 GPM, 1800 RPM fan speed, for 500W dissipation. Not the most solid math, but I used it to give me a ballpark. This falls within bounds for the 5-10C DT for a CPU, and 15-20C DT for a GPU. In addition, I plan to be using, at a minimum, 3 x GT AP-15s in Push, but most likely 6 x GT AP-15s in Push/Pull. I think the radiator will handle this brilliantly! I'll be tweaking fan speeds, of course, to optimize the fluid temperature for my setup.

I went with that radiator / res / cpu block selection because Gary at Sidewinder originally suggested it, and all of my research shows that the components perform to exceptional standards. Any suggestions on different components are welcome!

CASE / LOOP ORDER:
The NZXT Phantom 630 is a pretty sweet case. I plan to control the 6 x GT AP-15s with the built in fan controller (up to 10 fans, 30W, 3 settings), and I have a mediocre NZXT fan controller (5 fan input with temp monitoring) I'll use for my case fans.

The 630 has a 200mm intake fan on the front, a 200mm intake fan on the side panel, a 200mm exhaust fan on the top (which I'm removing in place of the GT AP-15s), and a 140mm exhaust fan on the back (I'll be turning this into an intake in an attempt to keep positive pressure in the case).

The following image is a basic layout of my fan direction and loop order:
oee.jpg

This is my first hash at the loop order... suggestions welcome! It's not a very clean drawing (sorry!) but you can hopefully decipher what I'm getting at. There are lots of discussions as to what order the components should be in (water reaching equilibrium, being cooled prior to components, etc.) so I'd appreciate some feedback to try and optimize this setup (a fairly common one, I know!).

I went with the EX360 because I only have 50mm clearance between the top of the case and the mobo. The EX360 + GT AP-15 fan puts me at ~55mm, which is acceptable and shouldn't get in the way of my memory.

QDs / Y-Splitter:
I thought it would be fun to play around with some QDs and potentially a Y-splitter for easier drainage. My current idea is to put the QD (or Y splitter with a QD attached) on the part of the line going from the GPU to the Rad.

With this proposed setup in my figure above, I could disconnect this part of the tubing, and be able to drain from both the male and female side of the QDs since I have an extra pair (which will each be independently attached to tubing). Placing it at this part of the loop allows me to move the tubing (after disconnecting) below the GPU and let gravity (with some potential assistance from the pump) help me drain the loop. I haven't decided if it's worth it to include a Y-splitter with this specific setup if I plan to buy 2 sets of QDs (I know, $$$$).

I understand the potential hazards with QDs (the QD4s have SOME liquid release, similar to the VLN4s Skinnee tested), and would take the appropriate precautions.

I just think it would be fun to screw around with! QD placement would potentially change if I alter the loop order, of course :D

Wrap-Up:
I think I have a decent build in the works! I would appreciate any constructive comments about the components, loop, options, etc. I don't feel I'm over-complicating anything - it should come together nicely.

I'm not planning to overclock my CPU anything more than ~4.6GHz, and the GPU will probably be limited by temperature with Nvidia's software. No need for liquid nitrogen this time!

Last edited:
You have done your homework so your hardware look good, but your loop, normaly, people would run water from reservoir/ pump to rad and rad to cpu, gpu and back to res, also you should let the 140mm fan in the back suck hot air out of the case because it's the exhaust fan, you got a 200mm fan blow coll air in from the front and side of the case, you will need an exhaust fan to such hot air out

Last edited:
Interesting choice...I might have flipped all the fans, so the rad was getting cool air from outside the case, rather than hot air from inside. Yes, heat rises, but fans are far, far more powerful than the buoyancy of hot air.

Also, consider going rad -> CPU -> GPU -> res -> rad. Might clean up the tubing a bit.

Mr Willard. You make me proud your from Las Vegas. I'll buy all the beer.

Man, that's amazing! One thing. Your so noob........
From your post.
"Compression Fittings: XSPC G1/4 to 1/2"ID, 3/8"OD (using compression fittings for all of my connections)". You got the ID/OD backwards. And double check, most 3/8" ID tubing isn't 1/2" OD, usually 5/8" OD.

That's the only issue I see besides not using the 35x pump and the Swiftech Res for it. Or the AMAZING looking BoxGods Monsoon res for the D5 pumps.

The XSPC one is so blase. Take a look at the ones I mentioned. Won't make a ton of diff in performance etc.

Your raddage in gaming situations should be okay, if you need to add more raddage later and want to run the fans at an ohh so quiet 900 RPMs (you will) then that's not an issue.

PM me please, I got stuffs.

Your a welcome bright star in our efforts to help folks. Thanks.

Interesting choice...I might have flipped all the fans, so the rad was getting cool air from outside the case, rather than hot air from inside. Yes, heat rises, but fans are far, far more powerful than the buoyancy of hot air.

Also, consider going rad -> CPU -> GPU -> res -> rad. Might clean up the tubing a bit.

My decision to try ALL of the exhaust being push/pulled through the radiator had to do more with positive pressure than convection currents inside the case. With all of my fans (PSU excluded) bringing 'cool' air into the case from the rear, side, and top, I should be able to control the pressure inside the case pretty well by having a 'single' exhaust point (goal with positive pressure is to keep dust out, but if I ramp up my exhaust fans extremely high I might be pulling more air out of the case than being fed in and thus defeat the purpose altogether - I could actually calculate that fairly easily, will do that this weekend).

I would assume there won't a significant increase in air temperature inside the case since the CPU and GPU are being liquid cooled, and I'm running a SSD. Would be very interesting though if I stuck some thermocouples in a few places inside the case to see how much warmer the inside of my case is compared to ambient. If it's a noticeable increase (a few degree C), then I may try and switch the fan directions in the case and see what that does. Have you had personal experience with pulling air in from the top over the rad?? I hadn't even considered it up to this point!

I appreciate the input! I'll keep it in mind. Also sounds like I should probably switch up my loop order like you and ASUS ROG mentioned...

RES > RAD > CPU > GPU > RES

Mr Willard. You make me proud your from Las Vegas. I'll buy all the beer.

Man, that's amazing! One thing. Your so noob........
From your post.
"Compression Fittings: XSPC G1/4 to 1/2"ID, 3/8"OD (using compression fittings for all of my connections)". You got the ID/OD backwards. And double check, most 3/8" ID tubing isn't 1/2" OD, usually 5/8" OD.

That's the only issue I see besides not using the 35x pump and the Swiftech Res for it. Or the AMAZING looking BoxGods Monsoon res for the D5 pumps.

The XSPC one is so blase. Take a look at the ones I mentioned. Won't make a ton of diff in performance etc.

Your raddage in gaming situations should be okay, if you need to add more raddage later and want to run the fans at an ohh so quiet 900 RPMs (you will) then that's not an issue.

PM me please, I got stuffs.

Your a welcome bright star in our efforts to help folks. Thanks.

I appreciate the kind words :) I've spent a bit of time reading, that's for sure! A lot of them were your posts!!

So, HUGE typo... corrected in my main post as well.

All tubing and compression fittings are 1/2" ID & 3/4" OD. Thanks for catching that!!!! Just a typo on my part (a consistent one...).

The Monsoon res does look really awesome. A bit more than I wanted to spend (Sidewinder has some sweet combo deals on XSPC gear), but I'll definitely look into it.

I'm looking forward to that beer :D

I'm leaning against using the Y-splitter in my loop. I think having 2 sets of QDs with one in-line is sufficient. I can always add a splitter later but don't think it's necessary, as long as I'm draining from the lowest point in my loop.

Thanks for the input thus far! If you got something to say keep it comin' :clap:

Case positive/negative is wayy overrated. Read the multi year thread on it in the air side. Don't use Congress air, it's hot and not reliable is a good summary.

Good airflow is what you want.

I have nothing new to add, but just wanted to add to how nice it is to see someone who did homework and has a plan.

:thup:

Your GPU heat dissipation is off, it should be closer to 200W (maybe 250W just to be safe).

Hmmm ok. I don't remember EXACTLY where I got the 380W peak, but it wasn't specifically for a 770 GTX, maybe it was a 680 GTX (which as we all know is basically the same card, which is why I chose those values).

How did you get the 200W for the 770 GTX? Got some more goodies / links I can read?!? :D Thanks for the heads up!

I have nothing new to add, but just wanted to add to how nice it is to see someone who did homework and has a plan.

:thup:

Thanks for the compliment! I don't see the point in spending money on something if you don't fully understand what it is you're buying or trying to accomplish.

I'm putting the order in soon with Gary (Sidewinder) - will definitely keep everyone posted (with pics, of course) as things start coming together when I get the rest of my components.

At the moment, it appears the GPU will be the hold-up. I'd prefer a GPU with waterblock pre-installed from manufacturer, and don't really want to spend ~$800 on a 780GTX (which is why I was aiming for the 770GTX). If the ASUS Poseidon 770GTX doesn't come out in a month or so I might have to scrounge up some more cash or just do some additional research on getting a third party block and doing the install myself!

Thanks for the info so far guys!

Hmmm ok. I don't remember EXACTLY where I got the 380W peak, but it wasn't specifically for a 770 GTX, maybe it was a 680 GTX (which as we all know is basically the same card, which is why I chose those values).

How did you get the 200W for the 770 GTX? Got some more goodies / links I can read?!? :D Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the compliment! I don't see the point in spending money on something if you don't fully understand what it is you're buying or trying to accomplish.

I'm putting the order in soon with Gary (Sidewinder) - will definitely keep everyone posted (with pics, of course) as things start coming together when I get the rest of my components.

At the moment, it appears the GPU will be the hold-up. I'd prefer a GPU with waterblock pre-installed from manufacturer, and don't really want to spend ~$800 on a 780GTX (which is why I was aiming for the 770GTX). If the ASUS Poseidon 770GTX doesn't come out in a month or so I might have to scrounge up some more cash or just do some additional research on getting a third party block and doing the install myself!

Thanks for the info so far guys!

Here's one. Link

You're welcome. My guess is that you looked up a review and the graph used system watts versus the card's watts.
In the end, it just means that your deltaT will be lower than originally anticipated!

Don't get the XSPC res, those stupid things are known to leak, i had one that was soo poorly made, the top was visibly warped and leaked a decent amount of coolant. just save yourself the trouble and avoid it all together. Go for the monsoon one, i have one of those in my rig now, and its so freaking awesome i wish i just got it from the start.

I would hope so. Even in terms of looks tho the Monsoon one is way above, the lighting in it is bright enough to light up my red coolant, looks pretty awesome. The overall quality of the res is just miles past the XSPC stuff, but thats just my opinion having used both of them

You could save a lot of money by not water cooling the GPU, with the limited voltage increase NVIDIA allows on their cards now days, they'll never even sniff dangerous temps with partner card air coolers that have been developed.

if you're going to use the rear fan as air in, you'll need a dust filter.

Besides that, you're doing good :)

A big plus one on the filtered intake air. I run 3 200's and 1 120 intake fans, filtered with DEMCiflex Magnetic filters on my CM HAF 922 case. Been running 24/7 for over 90 days now with positive pressure and not a speck of dust inside. Exceeded my expectations.

Back