• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did my research... Tell me I'm not Crazy!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Don't get the XSPC res, those stupid things are known to leak, i had one that was soo poorly made, the top was visibly warped and leaked a decent amount of coolant. just save yourself the trouble and avoid it all together. Go for the monsoon one, i have one of those in my rig now, and its so freaking awesome i wish i just got it from the start.

I read about those issues with this res - I'm getting a 'newer' one but am fully aware of this possibility. Thanks for the heads up. Conumdrum and I were discussing the Monsoon in some PMs, and it will most likely be my next res. Assuming no issues with the XSPC, I'll swap it out when I do my next WC loop to an older computer. Monsoon is definitely a beast of a res! Sexy as balls :p

You could save a lot of money by not water cooling the GPU, with the limited voltage increase NVIDIA allows on their cards now days, they'll never even sniff dangerous temps with partner card air coolers that have been developed.

That's a really good point, and I can always add a water block or buy gpu w/ block and add to my loop at a later time. This build may turn into just cooling the CPU for the time being if I can't get my 'optimal' liquid cooling GPU solution for a reasonable price within the next month or so.

if you're going to use the rear fan as air in, you'll need a dust filter.

Besides that, you're doing good :)

A big plus one on the filtered intake air. I run 3 200's and 1 120 intake fans, filtered with DEMCiflex Magnetic filters on my CM HAF 922 case. Been running 24/7 for over 90 days now with positive pressure and not a speck of dust inside. Exceeded my expectations.

All of the fan inlets on the NZXT 630 have fan filters, but probably not the exhaust like you mentioned! Good catch - and you're right, I'll be picking up a dust filter for that rear fan when I'm running it as intake. I'll check out the magnetic filters, they sound promising! Thanks!!

Last edited:
That's a really good point, and I can always add a water block or buy gpu w/ block and add to my loop at a later time. This build may turn into just cooling the CPU for the time being if I can't get my 'optimal' liquid cooling GPU solution for a reasonable price within the next month or so.
That's true that the nVidia cards can't get hot enough to justify water cooling, but the main reason I water cool my 780 is because of noise. It's pretty loud when running full blast on the stock air cooler, but on water everything is whisper quiet. Pretty important for me, since I have a studio apartment and my computer is about 15 ft from my bed.

Agreed LoneW. It's why I WCed the first time. Building a WC loop for the CPU to start and planning ahead for WC the GPU is I think the best plan. You get into WC a bit easier and maybe the new rig will be quiet enuff.

Anyhoo, the OP sounds like he shouldn't have any problems but stuff happens.

Willard, they found the box, LOL, in my grubby hands now.

+1 for those demciflex filters. Got one for my 650D top intake fans. They're pretty neat

Ordered a couple - I want to try one on the 200mm intake in the front of the case and then the 140mm 'intake' in the read of the case. Will put em' on the when they come in!

That's true that the nVidia cards can't get hot enough to justify water cooling, but the main reason I water cool my 780 is because of noise. It's pretty loud when running full blast on the stock air cooler, but on water everything is whisper quiet. Pretty important for me, since I have a studio apartment and my computer is about 15 ft from my bed.

Also a huge consideration --- a silent build. My current comp sounds like a turbine (570 GTX) when I load up any game, plus the 5+ system fans and the CPU... looking forward to a much quieter build which should be doable with my GT AP-15s and WC loop!

Agreed LoneW. It's why I WCed the first time. Building a WC loop for the CPU to start and planning ahead for WC the GPU is I think the best plan. You get into WC a bit easier and maybe the new rig will be quiet enuff.

Anyhoo, the OP sounds like he shouldn't have any problems but stuff happens.

Willard, they found the box, LOL, in my grubby hands now.

Awesome! I'll pick it up from you soon if it's still on the table :p... Planning to get two builds rolling here pretty soon.

I'm going to start a build log post shortly, and I'll throw the link into this thread once I get it going. I've started fooling around with the case and reorganizing some things to get it ready for what I have in store! Will get some pics of the WC components once they come in as well and updates as things come together.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!!

My fans are at 900-1000 RPM, AP-15's on 120x6 raddage and temps even under high OC/load testing stresses never are an issue. Normal usage? My temps are spectacular.

You can always add more fannage later, give it a try.

Yep, and when your delta is low enough, it needs tons of raddage/fannage to lower it: not worth the effort.

As Conumdrum says, give it a try in push or pull only.

It's a 120.3 rad, but I'm going to try just push first :) And I already have the 6 x 120mm GT AP-15s, so would be easy to strap three more on the top to make it push-pull!

Going out of town this weekend - will have some components in by the time I get back = PICS!!!

Thanks for the support guys!! =D

Back