• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difference between ASUS Sabertooth versions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry about that, that must be why then like you said it has a CPU with it probably. The $400 one doesn't list a CPU with the board unless they forgot for some odd reason to put it comes with one?

Don't know and can't say much about the $400 board I cannot link to. I only know that there is known to be only one 990 type Asus SaberTooth motherboard and I did find them much higher than approx $250 if the board came in combination with a cpu. That google link above showed maybe 40 or 50 such in combo with cpu and carrying a pretty hefty price tag over the cost of mobo alone.

Amazon prices are screwy dude. Current Sabretooths are about 220 on the AMD side for the 990FX while the intel ones (there are 2 1155 Sabretooths the cheaper one has garbo power phasing) are between 180 and 230 afaik. None are 400. They are not absolutely top tier motherboards. 400 bucks is a top end 'extreme' version ROG board if you're buying from ASUS on the desktop end of things.

Amazon prices are screwy dude. Current Sabretooths are about 220 on the AMD side for the 990FX while the intel ones (there are 2 1155 Sabretooths the cheaper one has garbo power phasing) are between 180 and 230 afaik. None are 400. They are not absolutely top tier motherboards. 400 bucks is a top end 'extreme' version ROG board if you're buying from ASUS on the desktop end of things.

I see, I want a good board for around $200 that is AM3+ (for Bulldozer upgrade) and SLI-capable.

Tough decision for me between the Crosshair V and the Sabertooth :-/

I've read great things about both boards. I have read that the Crosshair V has had some issues with breaking while being shipped and that the board despite it's high performance is kind of fragile, while the Sabertooth is solid as a rock. I'd be content with either board, but is the $50 more for the Crosshair really worth it!? Cuz I'm also thinking of buying my second GTX570 once I have my new mobo, if of course I have some money left after the mobo :)

Tough decision for me between the Crosshair V and the Sabertooth :-/

I've read great things about both boards. I have read that the Crosshair V has had some issues with breaking while being shipped and that the board despite it's high performance is kind of fragile,

1. I haven't bought a board in years due some associations that exist no longer.

2. Due #1, I too do a lot of reading and looking for the truth in the middle of all the rah rahs and blah blahs. That said I have begun to read that Gigabyte is the better fitted motherboard and that Asus has become fragile.

3. Following with #2 above, I would certainly n0t go with what some say is a more fragile board and bang my bucks for the SaberTooth as I do still like the Asus bios and the fact they do try to give the most out of a chipset. Yep opinions are like noses, we all got 'em.

Luck man and happy putering, you likely will n0t lose no matter your real choice of board in the Asus line-up as long as you don't buy the cheapest thing and then plan to overclock 'er.

1. I haven't bought a board in years due some associations that exist no longer.

2. Due #1, I too do a lot of reading and looking for the truth in the middle of all the rah rahs and blah blahs. That said I have begun to read that Gigabyte is the better fitted motherboard and that Asus has become fragile.

3. Following with #2 above, I would certainly n0t go with what some say is a more fragile board and bang my bucks for the SaberTooth as I do still like the Asus bios and the fact they do try to give the most out of a chipset. Yep opinions are like noses, we all got 'em.

Luck man and happy putering, you likely will n0t lose no matter your real choice of board in the Asus line-up as long as you don't buy the cheapest thing and then plan to overclock 'er.

Definitely, man. I'm probably going to stick with the Sabertooth. It will run the Bulldozer Zambezi CPUs once they're out and like you said, ASUS makes excellent boards. I've always been an ASUS person and have never had a problem with any of their boards, but like you said it's not worth the risk with a board that is said to be fragile.

Probably going to order it once I get back from my vacay :)

When I bought my current board about 3 months ago I didn't realize the difference between Socket AM3 and AM3+ so I just got this one cuz it was cheap, but if I would have known back then I probably would have grabbed the Sabertooth or Crosshair.

Yep that is a problem with this new stuffz every time you turn around.

I see you got a 1090T...let us know if it is easier to get up to speed with the new 990FX board. RGone...ster.

Yep that is a problem with this new stuffz every time you turn around.

I see you got a 1090T...let us know if it is easier to get up to speed with the new 990FX board. RGone...ster.

Will do, man! Will do!

I was checking out some of the Gigabyte Boards. The UD7 looks very, very nice, but a bit on the expensive side.

Back