• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Different ram sizes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dpg3456

Hello all,

So what turned out me helping my friend get a higher clock on his computer turned into helping him diagnose his computer. So, here is my concern, other than the fact that he is running a total of 6 gigs of ram, they are two different sizes.

one stick is this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231395

and the other is: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231423

I was always under the impression that you should run two of the same size ram sticks. Does him running his computer with two different ram sticks negatively impact performance?

Having two mismatched sticks means it is probably not running in dual channel mode. Some offered a hybrid for the overlap but not sure what supports it. It matters a lot for a few things, and not a lot for most things. It probably isn't hurting. If there are suspected ram problems check the speeds/timings of each and how the mobo sets itself, and maybe try different slot combinations.

Timings seem to be okay, however i havent gotten in depth yet. Have to wait until later tomorrow. Would gaming be one of these things that matters a lot?

In some games, in some situations, it can make a good measurable difference in performance. Too many variables to say.

Yeah i completely agree. after i ripped apart my computer, i only used 16gigs so i have another 16gigs just chillin in my closet. im going to give them to him and help him with a couple other things too

the reason people avoid mismatched memory is to ensure that they will work together. when memory is different, the faster set has to downclock to the slower memory, and may even have to starve itself of voltage. if the set works, its usually fine, but some strangeness can occur.

I'm actually going to be buying a new set to bump myself to 16 gigs. thinking an 8x2 kit, but i may just get another 4x2 since the other two aren't that old yet.

Back