• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED different size rams together?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peugot

so, @ work we did a little testing with an old dell(was really top of the line in 2004..) anyway, we did put 2x1gb PLUS 2x512mb in at the same time, which gave us something like 3072mb ram WORKING PERFECT. now, i am curious if this would work on my own?(described in signature). i already have 4x4gb, and want to add 4x8 gb to that( total 48 gb ram). what pros and cons am i facing in that case, like would quad channel memory be gone or what? would it even work with this big amount of ram? just to add this: in the dell's case it was 2x1gb SAMSUNG and 2x512mb unknown brand.. those had 1.8v, and i can't remember the speed or timing on them.. and in wy case i have 4x4gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz, and what im gonna add is 4x8gb of the same ram, only different size on the sticks, and they are 1.5v, 1600 mhz and are 9-9-9-24 =)

You can mix ram size/speed/timing/volts but its usually best to have matchings dims in the same bank for the best compatibility and performance. On your X79 platform, you may have 2 bank of 4 dims, if you install lower density or higher density dim in one of the bank, your at least better to look for similar timing/speed/volts dim for the second bank with bigger or smaller ram stick.

In the end, if you have completely different dim in all slot, you will clock/volts the ram at the spec from the worst of the pack.

You can mix ram size/speed/timing/volts but its usually best to have matchings dims in the same bank for the best compatibility and performance. On your X79 platform, you may have 2 bank of 4 dims, if you install lower density or higher density dim in one of the bank, your at least better to look for similar timing/speed/volts dim for the second bank with bigger or smaller ram stick.

In the end, if you have completely different dim in all slot, you will clock/volts the ram at the spec from the worst of the pack.

so, would you suggest that i get 4x8gb(i have 8 slots), or do you think that 4x4gb would be when i already have 4x4gb(give me total 32 gb). that may even be enough or what? i mean if there would be performance loss in getting different sized sticks?

In order to retain a quad-channel config. w/ all 8 DIMM slots populated, all of the DRAM modules need to be identical in capacity and speed.

Enough for what ? you really need more than 16gb ? 8 is already killing it for gaming...

Enough for what ? you really need more than 16gb ? 8 is already killing it for gaming...

enough for my big ego.. no, just to fill all slots. and i don't kno what future will bring of ram-intensive stuff, so better be sure that i can switch only half the dimms instead of all to get as much GB as i need =)

also, do i need 8 dimms for quad channel, ar is 4 enough? also, will quadchannel give any benefits over dual? is it noticable for me in real life?

4 channel = 4 dims ;) pretty simple ;)

Noticable in real life ? Not really. But on X79 you have 4 channel memory controller so your better to use it ! If your not, buy a Z77 board qith dual channel DDR3 ;)

4 channel = 4 dims ;) pretty simple ;)

Noticable in real life ? Not really. But on X79 you have 4 channel memory controller so your better to use it ! If your not, buy a Z77 board qith dual channel DDR3 ;)

the reason why i ask is because i have 4 slots, and now i use 4 dimms, that does mean i now use quadchannel right? i already use an x79 with ddr3 so buying a z77 is waste, or what? :p only thing i miss is onboard graphics, i really hate that i need to use a grapics card for everything... why did they remove it....

I didnt asked you to buy a Z77 ;) Was a kinda jk. You have an X79 board so use the feature it have like quad channel DDR3.

As for the memory chip on the CPU, X79 is the high end model and are not typically use as HTPC board with onboard graphics. X79 have way more PCIe lane from the CPU, beter memory, etc etc.

I didnt asked you to buy a Z77 ;) Was a kinda jk. You have an X79 board so use the feature it have like quad channel DDR3.

As for the memory chip on the CPU, X79 is the high end model and are not typically use as HTPC board with onboard graphics. X79 have way more PCIe lane from the CPU, beter memory, etc etc.

tehe yes i know, but its not fun to use with i.e linux... exept from the missing onboard graphics i am really satisfied with x79.. so high end? what was it meant for exactly? going off topic here, but i dont mind making another thread for my small questions =)

X79 is the "best chipset" offered by Intel currently. It also support the Best CPU, 6 cores 12 thread while Z77 only have 4 core 8 thread I7.

X79 is the "best chipset" offered by Intel currently. It also support the Best CPU, 6 cores 12 thread while Z77 only have 4 core 8 thread I7.

best chipset ! i only have quad core now... but when ivybridge-E comes i will have one of those. and also im going to get myself 2133mhz ram! or can i overclock those i have now? is it possible to clock them that high?

Depand on the ram you have, it may or may not OC very well. But in the end, theres is not a huge advantage in gaming to OC your ram or simply buy new ram. If your current ram set is a 1600mhz, your fine with it.

Depand on the ram you have, it may or may not OC very well. But in the end, theres is not a huge advantage in gaming to OC your ram or simply buy new ram. If your current ram set is a 1600mhz, your fine with it.

yes it is 1600, so i should keep it like this instead?

Yes, its all good. From 1600mhz to 2133mhz, usually with higher timing that comes with higher speed, ganming wize its about the same thing. Few games may gain maybe 1 or 2 FPS but nothing to really worry about since most games wont really take advantage of the added bandwith.

Yes, its all good. From 1600mhz to 2133mhz, usually with higher timing that comes with higher speed, ganming wize its about the same thing. Few games may gain maybe 1 or 2 FPS but nothing to really worry about since most games wont really take advantage of the added bandwith.

aha, then i don't care. just curious, is it better with lower or higher timings?

aha, then i don't care. just curious, is it better with lower or higher timings?

Back