• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED different size rams together?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lower timing + higher speed = "better"

I write "better" because if we only speak of gaming, going from 1600mhz CAS9 to 2133mhz CAS11 wont change anything. Even 2400mhz CAS12 wont really improve FPS in game. 1600mhz is a good base clock for ram. Going higher is just for the Epeen, gaming wise.

lower timing + higher speed = "better"

I write "better" because if we only speak of gaming, going from 1600mhz CAS9 to 2133mhz CAS11 wont change anything. Even 2400mhz CAS12 wont really improve FPS in game. 1600mhz is a good base clock for ram. Going higher is just for the Epeen, gaming wise.

i see you have 2133.. what should i aim for if it was to improve something? i am familiar with voltages, cpu and gpu overclocking etc, but in ram im new! i love to learn, so please tell me what is good and what is "bad"? tnx :D

Aim for what you have already if your goal is to improve game FPS. Outside of that, I'm not sure what specific applications will show improvements using faster ram. ID those and see if you need it. Otherwise, its just money down the drain really. I run DDR3 1600MHz CL9 on my daily driver.

You wont improve anything by getting newer ram. Your 1600mhz CAS9 ram is already OK for anything you can throw at it.

Currently, 8gb (2x4) of 1600mhz would be enough. You have 16gb since on X79 you have 4 dimms all togheter to run 4 channel DDR3. 4x4=16gb. You dont need anything higher, bigger, better. Keep that money for a GPU or anything that can really help your FPS. Ram wont.

You wont improve anything by getting newer ram. Your 1600mhz CAS9 ram is already OK for anything you can throw at it.

Currently, 8gb (2x4) of 1600mhz would be enough. You have 16gb since on X79 you have 4 dimms all togheter to run 4 channel DDR3. 4x4=16gb. You dont need anything higher, bigger, better. Keep that money for a GPU or anything that can really help your FPS. Ram wont.

well i got 8 slots so i could have more, but i dont have a reason right now! i would love another 680, then i would have 2! i may buy a big upgrade this summer!

Kepp your money for better GPU. This is a WAY more efficient way to inscrease your FPS.

Kepp your money for better GPU. This is a WAY more efficient way to inscrease your FPS.

yeah but what im gonna buy this summer is: 16gb more ram, another gtx 680, better psu, bluray writer, some LED stuff, new 120 hz screen, and hopefully a ivy bridge-E!

With 32gb of memory, you could play with some ramdisk prog but other than that, if you dont work on memory hungry prog ... you dont even need more than 8gb.

With 32gb of memory, you could play with some ramdisk prog but other than that, if you dont work on memory hungry prog ... you dont even need more than 8gb.

yeah, but futureproof you know =) going off topic again, but what do u do with your 3820? i have same but not sure how to treat it....

16gb is future proofing for most people. 32gb is straight overkill for 99%the of people... even here imo.

yeah, but futureproof you know =) going off topic again, but what do u do with your 3820? i have same but not sure how to treat it....

I'm mainly a gamer. A 3570k and 8gb of ram could be enough for me ....

Back