• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Directionally Boost Wifi in Backyard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
I'm looking for device recommendations to get a better wifi signal on my dock. The only network device I have in the house is the ISP's bonded DSL modem, no extra routers. The dock is ~75-100 yards from the house. My phone will randomly connect down there with a bar, and I'd like some to help improve that. I would prefer something like a wifi repeater that doesn't need to be plugged into the modem (don't know if there is such a thing), or something that can be plugged in & the signal directed through a glass door or window toward the dock (again, don't know if there is such a thing). Something simple to setup for the networking impaired would be nice too. :confused:
tia

I do have power on the dock with one of two receptacles in use & a weatherproof cover similar to this one...

clear-taymac-covers-mm420c-64_1000.jpg

That seems like a great solution except for getting the weatherproof door to close. I was considering converting the single gang to a double gang weatherproof box, looks like I'll need to do it to get that TP-link in there & keep the boat lift plugged in.

Okay, progress has been made. I've switched out the out single gang box with a double gang weatherproof box. The TPLink wifi extender will be coming in Tuesday. I'm going to see if I can get the 5GHz turned on in the modem today. I don't know why it wasn't turned on when they installed the service. :confused:

IMG_0290.jpg
Arrgh, stupid iPhone & sideways pictures.

So I bought the TP-Link WiFi device. It worked for extending the signal, but I had assumed the smaller device was the receiver & would go in the weatherproof enclosure on the dock. I was wrong. :( The larger half comes nowhere close to fitting in the box. Now I'm back on the hunt for something that can get the WiFi to the dock and fit in the weatherproof enclosure. Suggestions?

TP-Link.png

Back