• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Directx 12?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lIrenicuSl

Does anybody know if any future Dx12 is going to be avaible for Windows 7?

I heard they [Microsoft] said before realse that its not going to be, but may it change?

and what with win8? Does it works?

DirectX 12 is built-in to Windows 10, compatible with 8, and incompatible with 7.
That said, I believe they have only released it for Windows 10 thus far.

Does anybody know if any future Dx12 is going to be available for Windows 7?

It will not, unfortunately Microsoft will use the lack of Direct-X 12 on Windows 7 to get (some) people to abandon Windows 7 and upgrade.

It will not, unfortunately Microsoft will use the lack of Direct-X 12 on Windows 7 to get (some) people to abandon Windows 7 and upgrade.
From everything I have read, this is true. MS is doing everything they can to push users into W10 at this point.

So, options I can see are bite the bullet and go 10 on PC, with its eccentricities, for Dx12 gaming.
or go console for gaming: PS4 equates to giving M$ nothing, but missing out on certain series you may like, and XboxOne equals giving M$ money on hardware/software, running a console version of 10, a hobbled version of Dx12, and getting less performance.

Am I missing anything?

what makes you think the dx12 on the XB1 will be a 'hobbled' version? As far as I understand either it supports DX12 or it doesn't (and it does).

For those complaining about it being Win10 exclusive (or somewhat depending on when/if it comes to 8.1) it's no different than when they did the same with DX10 from XP->Vista.

Well, technically, the XB1, pre July 29th, was running a modified version of 12. I forget which issue of G.I. was talking about the launch of 10 on XB1 and the release of full Dx12, but it mentioned specifically what version of Dx the Xbox 1 launched with.

Will the XB1 see as much improvement as the PC side does? No, it won't. And it will likely be a custom/console version of Dx12, tailored to the specific hardware, which is already how many years old? In some ways thats easier, but its also limiting.

Meh, from the wiki
"DirectX 11.X is a superset of DirectX 11.2 running on the Xbox One.[34] It actually includes some features, such as draw bundles, that were later announced as part of DirectX 12."

Also:
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...not-to-expect-dramatic-improvements-from-dx12

Last edited:
Back